Kudos to Lumberton Public Library: Appreciation for Michael Smith (Simeon)

I arrived at the Lumberton Public Library today and I was greeted by a group of women that were smiling and working hard at cleaning the library from top to bottom. I know people assume I just have negative things to say about Lumberton, but that's not true. I report on things of Lumberton that may seem negative but when I stumble across some good news, I share it. The library was very fresh as the scent of lemons permeated the air. The constant movement and gentle roar of the vacuum cleaner did not disturb the tranquil atmosphere. As I navigated my way around the library, I noticed signs stating the library will close at 4:00 p.m. on March 14, 2014. As I was checking out some books, I was getting ready to ask why the library was closing early. After looking up, I noticed a poster in the corner and there was a picture of American Idol contestant, Michael Simeon. It seems that the Friends of the Library will be hosting a reception for the local native that ventured off to Hollywood after getting a Golden Ticket to compete on American Idol. The reception will be held at the Lumberton Public Library at 6:00 p.m. The event is open to all and there will be a performance by Michael Simeon, son of Mr. Mason Smith and Dr. Linda Smith, educators of the Lumberton Consolidated School District. The theme of the event is "Never Give Up On Your Dreams." Everyone is encouraged to attend to show their appreciation for Michael’s efforts and the fact that he has shown that there are talented, gifted individuals in Lumberton and he demonstrated that on the national stage as everyone cheered him on and wanted him to go further. The women that were cleaning the library were either inmates or doing community services for drug court. The fact that they were there working hard to get the library in order for the appreciation reception shows one of the advantages of having a county owned library. I, like many others, was not certain about the board's decision to sell the library, but now I see that it's good to have that connection. Also, I would like to take the opportunity to give kudos to Melinda Carli, branch manager, and the Friends of the Lumberton library for their great efforts to bring diverse activities to the Lumberton Public Library. They work tirelessly via fundraisers and other activities in order to fund various programs and their efforts are greatly appreciated. If you are in the area and want to take some time out to enjoy some good music, food and fellowship, you may want to stop by the Lumberton Public Library on March 14, 2014 at 6:30 p.m. I'm sure it will be a great time had by all. Also, take a little time to visit Michael Simeon’s Facebook page to show him some appreciation.

Comments

  1. I love your attempt to show you're human and capable of caring but that's not why I read your blog. I am sad that Michael didn't advance further in the competition. I was so looking forward to exposing his I hate niggers notes he used to write in school and his Obama rants at Ole Miss. Oh well. I would like to give kucos to Melinda for her tirelessly effort to recognize a member of one of the racist families in town. Bravo! Now join me and clap your hands as Michael plays his guitar version of Run Nigger Run from 12 Years a Salve.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your statement is the equivalent of a (verbal) drive by shooting.
    With no credibility to what you have insinuated!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe that you would use Michael to show how hateful you are. If he did what you said, and I don't think he did. You are no better than him. you not only put him down but by your statement calls his whole family a racist. You need to get over your hatefulness and find some peace.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

FY Budget 2015: Pills and Potions

Stealing Elections: Lumberton Style

Kim Rogers: A Phenomenal Woman