Ig'nant.....to the Bones

One more post before I step off this soap box. The other day, there were some people on the Connection that thought the low voter turnout was humorous. Due to my knowledge of historical relevance of what it took for African-Americans to obtain the right to vote, I fail to see any humor in the fact that able bodied individuals don't exercise their right to vote. And please, let's be clear on this matter. I'm not talking about those that did not vote for me, I'm talking about those that did not vote at all. There are 252 registered voters in Ward 3 but only 98 cast votes on Election Day. So, there were 154 votes that were never cast. As we saw in the recent Hattiesburg election, every vote counts. I am thankful that I knew of the struggle it took to get the right to vote. My great grandmother, Brookie Ceasar, shared with me the ordeal her and my grandfather, Henry Ceasar, endured in their effort to obtain the right to vote. She told me they were once asked to recite the Constitution in order to vote. Now I don't know about you, but I only remember bits and pieces of the Gettysburg Address, I'm quite certain that I couldn't recite the Constitution. My great grandfather gave up, but my great grandmother said she would never cease until she got her voter registration card. She also told me of the danger that was involved in trying to obtain the right to vote. There were threats and intimidation tactics employed. Thankfully, granddaddy Henry was a military man and he always has some sort of gun he could quickly get to. Now, Grandma Brooks wasn't timid either. As a matter of fact, she was so bold, that after Grand-Daddy Henry's death, she actually made throw pillows out of the flag that draped his casket. She said she wanted each of the grandchildren to have a memento of his service to our country. For years, my mother kept the pillows in the closet but I look back at some of the barriers Grand-Ma Brooke overcame and I just smile. Now, at one point, African-Americans would have their lives threatened if they dared to vote. Today, we have hoards within our community that don't think it's important to participate in voting. To them, it's always someone else's responsibility. I am fed up with African-Americans that don't vote. In my opinion, they need to give back their black card. Not voting is an insult to our ancestors. Right before the polls closed, I was attending the board meeting. Kent Crider asked if he could speak with me. I was wondering, why he wants would speak with me. So, I reached in my pocket to make sure I had my pepper spray. I went outside and he shared with me some details about the confusion that happened at the voting center. It seems that a part of Lower Airport Road is included in Ward 3, but it was not listed on voter registration roll I received. He indicated that he was going to contest the election. In my mind, he realized the demographic of his ward did not look favorable towards him, but I guess he didn't realize he didn't have anything to worry about, because the African-American residents in his Ward didn't bother to vote. I'm certain Crider was ready to contest the vote because he was certain that Tina Speights-Holder was going to win and if more African-American voters showed up at the polls, she probably would have won. But, it is what it is. Again, I'm disappointed, but as the old saying goes, you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink. I was an avid supporter of Mayor Miriam R. Holder and I will continue to be a supporter and friend. I love Mayor Holder and I realize that love is a verb; which means it requires an action. You can say you loved our Mayor, but if you didn't bother to get off your duff and cast your vote for her or any of the other candidates in the election, then your words are just empty gestures. I'm trying to keep an open mind and throw my support behind the newly elected mayor, but I guess I might have to do some fasting and praying.

Comments

  1. I know this is not related to the post but I think you're holding back. I know you think Jerry is your friend and that's prolly y u holding back but is it true that the fire truck ran out of gas the other night and that's why that house in LQ burned down.I think this needs posting and investigating. If the fuel man card is being used for other things we need to know. Get Kent to call for an investigation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, it is not true. The truck was full of fuel. Had a mechanical problem causing the pump not to engage. The house in LQ didn't burn down. As a matter of fact, the investigator said the department did a good job containing the fire. All fire department vehicles aren't allowed to be lower than have a tank at any given time.

      Delete
  2. Haven't hear about the fire truck running out of gas, but I do know that it would help if Jerry would walk across the street from his house and take a fire truck to a fire instead of driving that suburban he has parked in his driveway. Oh wait I forgot he is disabled and can't climb into or onto a fire truck because of his knee. That is why he ain't no truck driver no more, my bad. I understand why he takes "the chief's truck" to fires instead of the one that has water in it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous,

    Just to let you know that you have a wrong opinion of Me and the Fire department. Our fire truck has never ran out of fuel. Also, for your information, I have driven the fire truck to 2 separate fires since my hip replacement. The house in love addition didn't burn down. As a matter of fact, the county fire investigator said we did a great job in containing and extinguishing the fire. The truck that "has water in it" was on scene when I got there. The reason the Suburban sits in my drive way is for emergency medical calls. It's faster to walk out my door and go to the emergency than it would for me to have to take time to go open the bay door to get the truck. Those minutes I would waste opening the station could cause a person having a heart attack their life. I'm not worried about what you say about me. I know who I am and I know what my job is. The informer is a good way to stay up to date on the things that happen within this city that really mean something. It's people like you who invent lies to start a bunch of gossip. The fire trucks, all of them, are not allowed to have less than half a tank of fuel at any given time. I wish people would take time to come up with evidence before you start accusing people. I don't know why you don't try to help the fire department instead of trying to start a bunch of crap. Why is it that nobody from Love Quarters, Big Quarters, or turn key will join the fire department to help their community. I've been told a lot of reasons. "I'm not going to risk my life for someone for nothing! I want to get paid." Well, I am sorry. This is a volunteer fire department. It is me that gets out of my bed in the middle of the night to go Carver Ave, because their gout is flared up, or they have a headache, or a stomach ache. I've actually had one young man bring his blank application back and tell me that he won't stop smoking weed long enough to take a drug test! I have given my life to that fire department to protect the citizens of Lumberton. If you don't believe me, ask my wife. People in Frank Lee Homes and Green tree see me more than she does. Now, back to what was said earlier about the fire truck. The problem was that it would not go into pump gear because it is not use much. Once pump gear engaged, it worked just fine. I wish everybody in this city could love it as much as I do. We would have a much bigger fire department instead of people who are always speaking negative about things they don't know anything about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So your saying that black people don't want to give up their weed to volunteer. Because according to you most of your calls are in the hood. You say no one wants to work without pay but explain the $1000 a month you run to city hall to get. That's in addition to the $30,000 budget that's paid by the city. What are you guys doing with that money. Splitting it up among your family and riding around using city fuel card for personal errands. Spare is the I do this for the city bullshit you do this for the money you're getting and you don't want others bc that will mess up your deal with the ones getting the split.

      Delete
    2. It is clear that you have no clue what's going on. No, I'm not saying that black people don't want to give up their weed to volunteer. I said that was 1 isolated incident. The $1000 a month is a professional Services fee that is used to use printer ink, paper, paper towels, toilet paper, and drinking water. It is all used for fire department equipment. I don't know where you come up with $30,000 for a budget but your numbers are way off. Any way, that money is budgeted to purchase equipment, pay for fuel. That money also pays the power bill. Every dollar we get is spent on fire protection except for what is used to pay for drug tests. I don't know what you have against because I have done you no wrong. You are making false accusations about what the money is used for. We keep receipts for every penny that is spent and we give the city an expense report every month. No one on the fire department rides around using the city fuel card. Fuel man is only used for truck fuel. I wish you would get your facts straight before you start accusing people of things that aren't true. NO member of this fire department get paid. That's why we can't people to join, because it's volunteer. Go ahead and say all you want to about the fire department. I don't know where you get your false information and I don't care. You are going to twist everything I say around to make it mean what you want it to mean. I don't have to report to you. I have to report to City Hall every month on the status of the fire department. I do this for the city is not bull****! But then again, that's easy for you to say because you don't love your community and you don't have the guts to d what we do, especially if its for free.

      Delete
    3. The Fire dept. has a tanker to buy parts, fuel and insurance for. Then, there's the drug tests, the office supplies to keep compliant with the state and city. Also, burn permits are made with office supplies. The run reports, the medical supplies that can't be gotten from ASAP has to be bought by the fire department, paint for the tanker truck and the paint for the generator was purchased by the fire dept., water for the firefighters is purchased by members of the dept. The department pays for classes that members have to take, they also pays for fire chief's council, fire association and so on. The department wants all the members they can get to make sure that everything runs properly and can get to calls in a timely manner. If you want to know the truth try going by there and pick up an application and make the training meetings to see what all is going on. There is a training meeting tonight at 6. The members of the fire department even help families with Christmas, ask around. God knows the hearts of each and everyone of them and why they do what they do by risking their own lives to save others. Stop judging the book by it's cover and get over there and see what's inside the book. Apparently some people think they are God and know the hearts of these people, when in truth the hearts of these people are to help their neighbors (community). What would happen if they all decided to quit the department today? There would be no one to depend on when there is a fire, a wreck, a medical call, or whatever may occur. These people take classes that betters the community and also the ratings that help property insurance go down. It doesn't matter where the calls are or who the people are that needs help, it's the loyalty and dedication of these people that matters most. You have to have a passion to want to help others and to be able to do what these members do.

      Delete
  4. oh, there are only young black boys in Lumberton now? Wow..really? seriously?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't say black boy. If you would take time to read, it said young a young man, not a boy. I didn't say if he was black or white. The truth is that I have talked to more black men than I have young black men. No one under the age of 18 can be on the fire department. The young man who brought the application was 23. He is young compared to me. Why is it that people take offence to everything I say? Nobody wants to support the fire department but they damn sure expect us to show up when there is a fire or medical call. I think maybe we should shut down for a month or two just to see if anybody wants to support the department. See, it's not about the money. We just spent $3210 on a deck gun on the fire truck that will make putting out fires quicker. But, if ya'll don't want use to be here, we will close down and you can wait for the county to come down for fire or medical calls.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

FY Budget 2015: Pills and Potions

Stealing Elections: Lumberton Style

Kim Rogers: A Phenomenal Woman