Fanning The Flames


When I checked my inbox for Lumberton Informer, it was loaded with e-mails about what happened Saturday evening. Unfortunately, another resident of Lumberton lost their home due to fire. This is the third house within a one mile radius of the Lumberton Fire Department that burned to the ground, but that's not what the e-mail were about. There are several residents that are upset that some of the firemen that responded to the call were taken to the hospital. Here's a sampling of the emails I received.

Gimmeabreak2011 said: "I think this is all a game and these firefighters are just looking for a way to make the city pay out more money. They have the city paying for their insurance and they need a hospital report to make a claim for the disability insurance.

Whatsgoingson22 said: "Those responding to the fire looked like a gang of meth heads and they didn't know what they were doing. Where did they get their training and whey were they still hanging around hours after the fire and it was like something they came up with the grand idea to go to the doctor and now they will cost the city even more money."

RUSerious2 said: "I know that this is a volunteer fire department, but when you hear about certain members of the fire department and their refusal to go into certain neighborhoods you being to realize that a certain pattern is beginning to emerge. All of the houses that burned down are in the black community and are in close proximity to the fire house and our department can't seem to respond in a timely manner, but when the FEMA trailers were on fire, our department beat the other departments to the call. I guess the location of the FEMA trailers was at an acceptable location."

The comments goes on and on, but the messages are generally the same. What is going on with the fire department. Despite the comments that were e-mailed to me, I don't see the firefighters going to the hospital as a political ploy. If they were transported to the hospital, it could have been the result of heat exhaustion or just exhaustion. I am concerned, however, about the actions of the firefighters. Although the fire department is a volunteer department, I believe that some of their actions outside the department may have an adverse effect on how they're perceived in the community. I find it troubling that we have a "klan" of white members from the LVFD as well as the Lumberton police department that were out in number the other day to show their overwhelming support for Board Appointed Interim Chief Dennis Hobson. To them, it didn't matter that Hobson was charged with domestic assault and/or abuse. All they wanted to convey was their support of a white chief of police. So, what kind of message was our "all white" LVFD sending to the residents of Lumberton? But we have only ourselves to blame. Why should we get upset when "whites" do what they do, and members of our community don't have the ability to garner that type of unity. If we want to change anything, we need to become active as well as pro-active. We need to get involved with the fire department and make sure that calls to our communities are given the same attention. But before any changes are made, there need to be some changes made to the contract between the City of Lumberton and the LVFD. As it stands, the city has no control over the LVFD, but the City of Lumberton is responsible for paying the bills, paying for the maintenance of the building, paying the $1,000/month to the department, paying the premiums for the fireman's disability insurance, etc. If the City of Lumberton is footing the bill, then I don't understand how they are not in control of the department. Did the city's attorney sign off on this agreement; if so, that's enough to call for his resignation. I don't have a full understanding of what took place Saturday, but if and when I'm contacted by the LVFD, I will post their response.

Comments

  1. Why don't they just put their hoods back on. Oh I forgot they are cowards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went to the scene and there was this short, white officer, I think his name is Rick, and I was asking why the firefighters were still there and he told me that "This is police business and you need to leave." When I refused to leave, he said "This ain't the old Lumberton Police Department, you better get in your car." I still refused to leave and he tried to change his story and tone of voice. If the citizens of this town don't wake up, this nightmare will not have a happy ending.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was also told the the same thing when i ask what was wrong with him. I also ask why were they still down their at 9:30 pm. The fire was out when I left. He begin to trying to be nice after I started asking other whites that was still their. I do no that Robert Graham is a dedicated fireman and if that fire wouldn't have been out he would not have left the scene. One lady said the guy couldn't breath and I said what was he doing the police that wasn't on duty said they had to make sure no one was in the house. I replied that was taken care of before you all came cause the lady of the house was on the neighbors porch looking at her house burn. He replied we want the citizens and the board to know we doing all we can to help everybody. My thoughts are for us we might as well let the house burn down and then call them because The LVFD report is what the insurance company go by: Please and if they get their they all going to fall out from the flame they need some training volunteer or no volunteer. This is so sad you cant even put out a fire 4-Mile fire department put it out and i can't see you all going to the hospital it not like you was that close to the house. John can you address something to the state about this situation b/c if our houses is going to burn down anyway we don't need whats on the VFD we need some hired official for this position. No I Don't Think They were concern and that my oppinion. The Chief and most of his department live right accross from the station. I just say WOW! This town is really gone to the dumps

    ReplyDelete
  4. These people go through extensive training..I think some of you should use spell check before submitting your post. This isn't what you're trying to make it out to be... if you don't like the response time try going to the training yourself and joining as a VF..I'm sure the help will be appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If the fire chief is disabled, then how is he responding to the calls? The fire department has a fuel man card. Instead of using the fire truck for personal business, why don't they ride around and learn the streets. That way, when a fire starts, they will know where to go.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If what we saw Saturday was the result of extensive training then somebody cheated on their test or didn't pay attention in class.

    ReplyDelete
  7. THE CHIEF WAS NOT DISABLE DON'T KNOW WERE THAT LIE COME FROM AND MATTER FACT HE AND A FEW OTHER OF HIS FRIENDS FIREFIGHTER STAY WITH HIM. IF HE CAN'T GET THEIR ON TIME THEN WE DON'T NEED THE DEPARTMENT. ALL THE ONES I SAW ON THE FIRE DEP WAS DUMB AND ONLY ONE HAVE HIGH SCHOOL EDUCATION AND THAT ROBERT GRAMHAM. THE OTHER EDUCATED ONE YOU ALL FIRED

    ReplyDelete
  8. One early morning about 3am I got home from work, and was letting my dog out to pee. When I heard this strange noise like braking glass. When I started looking around I seen smoke coming over the tops of the trees, by the time I got my dog back in the house grabbed my cell phone and called 911. I told the operator what I saw presuming it was a fire, I told her I was on my way to it so I could give her the street address or just the street, she told me to stay on the line to transfer to lamar county 911. Told the next operator about the fire by then I'm already there blowing on my car horn trying to alert anyone that might still be in the house, but by the size of those flames there was no way I couldn't even get close to the side door, which looked like an entrance to the under world. This house was already gone before 3am, it was so late that if I hadn't noticed it burning it probably would of burnt all the way out. Anyways within 10 minutes of being transferred to Lamar 911 the police showed up. Another 5 minutes the fire department showed up. I'm not justifying any thing they do or don't do. Shoot we don't even have good water pressure in this town to put any fires out. We should all contact some outside source to get this issue fixed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. To his credit, Chief Walters informed the board of the low water pressure issues, but nothing has been done. Apparently, those working in the Public Works Dept. do not feel that it's a major issue. But you are soooooo right, we need some outside sources to help get this issue fixed. I love the fact that the grants from 4 years ago are finally being closed out and fulfilled, but I hope they look for some grants that would allow this city to have some full time firemen at the station.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

FY Budget 2015: Pills and Potions

Stealing Elections: Lumberton Style

Kim Rogers: A Phenomenal Woman