Police Department Optional?????

I heard earlier that the press was interviewing Mayor Winston. So, I was online looking at Hattieburg American. I decided to check the Lamar Times and low and behold, I saw the following headline: "Lumberton mayor eyeing big cuts to police budget." Seriously? I have had a litny of issues with the Hobson ran police department, but despite those issues, I know that the City of Lumberton is in dire need of EVERYONE of the officers that are on duty. Leaving the City of Lumberton without adequate police services is, pardon the terminology, like removing the cages at the zoo. I already posted that the police department need more cars so they could adequately serve and protect the citizens of Lumberton. I don't want to imagine the chaos that will ensure without coverage on certain shifts. I don't think people that make budget cuts take into consideration that the budgets they're cutting directly affects the lives of others. I find it in very poor taste that you are looking to cut a department that is essential to the safety and well being of law abiding citizens while there's nothing said about a department where the director claims that there are certain jobs his workers "don't have time to complete." Again, seriously? I know this post is not about the public works department but allow me a chance to vent. There are several hard-working, underpaid individuls on the department that are carrying a few lazy, apathetic workers. The members of the public works department, those that are actually working, are well-over due for a pay raise. I hate budget cuts as much as the other person, but the lack of a pay raise and incomplete work can be eaisly addressed. Terminate the two-three individuals that are essentially riding the clock. Hire one more person on the deparment and use the salaries of the terminated employees to give the remaining employees a raise. And if they are not able to "complete the work on their schedule, then hire those that can complete the work. Now, back to Winston's interview in the Lamar Times. In the article, Winston states that the City of Lumberton has a budget of $1.1 million and the police deparment uses the bulk of that budget ($520,000). The police department budget has always been higher than other departments. Howver, the police department has not been able to off set their budget because the fines/tickets were not properly collected by the previous clerk. Time and time again, Chief Elise Cowart has outlined how over $725,000 in uncollected fines are owed to the City of Lumberton. As a matter of fact, she has explained the deficiencies in a manner that even a 5th grader could understand; and that could possibly be the reason why so many of our elected officials don't comprehend the process. I may have said some things about the methodology of the LPD but I know they are essential for Lumberton to remain somewhat safe. I don't know why he's against the police department and why he's taking this step to try to get rid of our police officers. One thing for certain, I don't know what type of business he's thinking of attracting without a viable police department in place. I haven't had the opportunity to read the article in its entiriety but I did want to provide an overview of what's going on while I was having lunch. You can check out the full story in the Lamar Times. My lunch break is over. I don't know what plans he have in place and I certainly hope he's not as foolish as the mayor that took it upon himself to arm a secret group of militia to patrol the city. Yes, a former mayor actually armed and deputized some regualar citizens without letting the city or the police department know who these individuals were and they were actually trolling the streets with guns and it could have easily took a turn for the worse. But there were people that were upset with former mayor Miriam Holder for pushing for transperancy and accountability. So, they voted Winston in to "save the city" and it seems that he's destined to actually take on a ride that I hope we can actually survive. So, buckle up, because we have four more years on this bumpy ride.

Comments

  1. Why don't we just try to impeach him?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We need to impeach the informer because he does not have a clue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go for it...but to do so you would need to remove your "hood" of anonymity and I really don't think that's going to happen bc jelly fish don't have backbones.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

FY Budget 2015: Pills and Potions

Stealing Elections: Lumberton Style

Kim Rogers: A Phenomenal Woman