Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

Today is a continuation of the items that were not included in the review of the board meeting. Before delving into today's post, I would like to say that I am glad that others are taking the initiative and reporting about incidents at the school. I don't know what happened and I didn't report it because I was out of town. However, I am certain that there are a lot of concerned parents that are appreciative of the notification. I don't have any children at the school but I am glad that everyone is well and whatever crisis may have occurred has been averted. Now, on to today's post. There were some other agenda items that were discussed. One of the WTF or OMG moments was the fact that the following appointees were asked to submit a contract to the Mayor and Board of Alderpersons: Lindsay Carter, City Attorney, Edwin Pittman, Judge, Douglass Miller, Prosecuting Attorney and Thomas Schwartz, Defense Attorney. I don't know why this request was submitted. Is there a need to know their job description? Is this a form of micro-management. I never heard of appointed individuals turning in a contract. From what I could gather, these individuals do not work under a contractual capacity. Also, I think their job descriptions are self-explanatory. Is this a move to bind the appointees to a certain number of meetings, work hours, etc. I don't know the purpose of this move and I don't know what this move is intended to accomplish, but the board voted unanimously for this agenda item. I guess the purpose of this vote will be revealed in due time. Unfortunately, I don't think those that were re-appointed to these positions know what they are to submit and those requesting them to draft a contract do not know what is to be submitted. Another agenda item that had me raising my eyebrows was the request to discuss and vote to give O'Neal and Bond permission to do a study, including all paperwork required to provide water and sewer facilities to Mr. Mike Oregeron, 13 South Wells Town Road and Mr. Chris Triche, 3862 Highway 13, Lumberton, Ms. This agenda item was submitted by Alderman Quincy Rogers, who said that we should offer to welcome these individuals to the City of Lumberton and do whatever we can to ensure they have access to city services. In my opinion, this is a slippery slope and the City of Lumberton should try to avoid getting on this ride because it's only going to lead the city on a choppy ride. As I have stated time and time again, I have a very suspicious mind. It's all great that we want to welcome two new individuals to the city and do what we can to provide water and sewer services. But will the expense needed to pay for the services for two families profit the city. It was said that more individuals are looking to move to that area but it seems that this project would be cost prohibitive; especially for a city that seemingly does not have enough money to purchase new police cars. I also think it's rather odd that the residents of Old Airport Road have not responded to this initiative. As I said, with my suspicious mind, I think they're sitting in the cut, waiting for this measure to be approved and they will have the ammunition needed to request the same services. After all, they were unwillingly annexed into this city and I am certain they want to have the services of water and sewer. I don't know how this will pan out, but I am almost certain that they are waiting for the City of Lumberton to take on this expense so they can then make their request know or I could be just creating a non-existent conspiracy theory. Only time will tell. The board approved a measure that will allow the City of Lumberton to add additional fees to unpaid tickets and fines. So, if you have an outstanding fine, it would be in your best interest to go into the office and make payment arrangements. If they have to start the collections process, the police department can add and additional 25% to your ticket/fines if you live within the State and and additional 50% to your ticket/fine if you are out of state. Also, the board approved the establishment of a noise ordinance. So for all of you ballers that love to share your music with everyone in the community; you could be looking at a fine up to $700 for the first offense. For clarity, the violation of the noise ordinance can only be issued by a police officer. If your music can be heard by a police officer, you will be subject to receive a noise ordinance violation. However, if your loud music is reported by a citizen, then you will not be charged with a noise ordinance violation; you will be charged with disturbing the peace and the fine is considerable cheaper. If you want to get more details about the noise ordinance, you can obtain a copy of the ordinance at city hall. In the meantime, those of you that love to shout Turn Down For What....well if you don't you will be paying a hefty fine. I still have another post about the recent meeting but I am gathering some information before I post the information. Until then, govern yourselves accordingly.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FY Budget 2015: Pills and Potions

Stealing Elections: Lumberton Style

Kim Rogers: A Phenomenal Woman