Things Fall Apart

I just recently heard about the last board meeting and contrary to what many believe, I didn't get any insight about the meeting from Mayor Holder. As a matter of fact, I haven't spoken to the mayor in months. Anywho. In a casual conversation with a friend, the matters of the most recent board meeting took over the conversation. As we were talking, I was informed that there was less than 10 people in attendance. According to what I was told, Alderman Bobby Gibson had to be coaxed into entering the board meeting in order to have a quorum. Apparently, Gibson didn't get the text not to attend the meeting because his co-horts, Johnson and Crider, were not in attendance. I'm not certain what was on the agenda that had Johnson and Crider delaing with another bout of anal glaucoma (they couldn't see their behinds coming to the meeting). However, as the conversation progressed, I was told that Alderman Jay McGrew ripped into the city clerk, Stephanie Mullings. Jay allegedly told the clerk that "it's time out for her holding this city hostage." Now, I'm not sure of the context of this statement, but I am glad someone is finally willing to air some of Lumberton's dirty laundry. Over the years, those elected to serve have been playing political Jenga with the citizens of Lumberton and the puzzle is finally falling apart. During the last administration, E. Nell Busby made it her mission to get rid of Leonette Wynn as city clerk and for minor offenses. How can you use one set of rules to terminate one clerk and then overlook those same offenses when it comes to the current clerk. I would love to place the blame on Johnson, Crider and Gibson but in the words of my favorite life coach on the Oprah Winfrey Network, Iyanla Vanzant, "let's call a thing a thing people." Rest assured, I am not saying they are not culpable, but at this point, I have realized that they don't have the desire to get to the root of the issues taking place at city hall. Thankfully, we actually have an alderman that's not being fooled by the batting of lashes or promises of favors. For years, Mullings have been accused of stealing and/or embezellment. I'm not sure if I believe those accusations but I am certain of this; she is accountable for her actions and if the city is losing money, she is responsible. This board has made sure Stephanie has not missied a certification or training meeting; regardless of the cost to the citizens of Lumberton. Therefore, there should be no similace of improprities. Unfortunately, there are many. For instance, Stephanie has been to training class after training class. Why in the MMA are you holding back certain checks and presenting them to Bobby Gibson for signature instead of Mayor Holder. Stephanie has enough training to know that Lindsey Carter is not the city attorney because the board never overrode the Mayor's veto, but every month, she presents his checks to Bobby Gibson for approval. And if that's not enough, there was a time when the checks presented to Jones (cleaner) were presented to Gibson for signature. In the words of Cheef Keith, now that's the ish I don't like. Everyone wants to say Mayor Holder is the cause of the problems in Lumberton, but the root of the issue goes a lot deeper. Hopefully, Jay McGrew will stay hot on the trail and we could finally get a government that is willing to put in the work for the people of this city. I haven't been kept abreast of what's taking place at city hall but you best believe, I'm making a point to be at the next regularly scheduled meeting.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FY Budget 2015: Pills and Potions

Stealing Elections: Lumberton Style

Kim Rogers: A Phenomenal Woman