Happy Father's Day

I just received an update from the Steve Harvey "The Defination of Manhood" mentoring program that's taking place this weekend and I thought of the late Rev. Michael Edwards, Sr., Lumberton's own version of Steve Harvey. Rev. Edwards had a straight forward way of telling it like it is and he was always dressed to the nines. As I thought back on the times we shared, I realized that he's been a spiritual father. He truly help me establish a firm foundation for my Christian life and taught be not to do things well, but exceedinly well. I remember how he put me in charge of doing a lot of his paper work, despite my lack of confidence. He also started a bible class where we actually went through the bible, chapter by chapter, verse by verse. Somehow, bible study at most churches has become another sermon of the week. I remember all the summer trips he scheduled and the fun times we had going to Disney in Orlando, FL, Six Flags in Houston, TX, and the historical trips to the Martin Luther King, Jr. Center in Atlanta, GA. But he wasn't in the ministry by himself, he had a wife, Evelyn Gray-Edwards, that worked along side him, knowing the virtues of a wise woman. Today, our youth don't have the benefit of taking summer trips to various locations, but there are some mighty men/women of God serving in the ministry and I think they could forge a change in this city including, but not limited to Rev. Curtis Merritt and his wife Kaye Merritt (who taught me to make sure my service is "unto the Lord!); Rev. Perry Holder and his wife Annie B. Holder and Rev. Buddy Peters and his loving wife Deborah Peters. I'm sure there are others in Lumberton but these are the ones that impacted my life positively. In celebration of Father's Day, make sure the men in your life know they matter; wheather they're your biologicial father, spiritual father or just a father figure.

Comments

  1. Just now seeing this, love it, btw where did u get that pic lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was looking theough some ild pictures from when Sweet Beulah used to take those summer trips and that picture inspired this post.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

FY Budget 2015: Pills and Potions

Stealing Elections: Lumberton Style

Kim Rogers: A Phenomenal Woman