I Thought I Heard It All


Last night, I attended municipal court for the City of Lumberton. The racial mix for those in attendance was about 50-50; so I guess they can't accuse the Lumberton Police Department of profiling certain individuals. As I sat there, listening to the excuses people made for breaking the law, one individual stood out from all the rest. I have never, in my lifetime, heard of this defense before. There was a man there who had over $5,000 in tickets and fees; he said that he had a good job for years and that he didn't want to stay in jail because he needed to use his medical insurance to see his doctor. But that's not his defense. He didn't come up with an excuse as to why he wasn't paying on his fines, but he pleaded with the judge to release him because he has a "hex on him." As he was explaining his alleged hex, the judge reared back in his seat to avoid getting any of the hex on him. It was clear that the man had lost a great deal of weight, and he has been seeking medical treatment, but the doctors can't seem to find out what's wrong with him. The man went on to give the name of the woman that allegedly put a hex on him and said that he needed to get out of jail in order to get her to remove the hex from his stomach. I have heard of people that believed in this type of thing, but this was the first time I actually heard it used as a reason to be released from jail. SMDH!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FY Budget 2015: Pills and Potions

Stealing Elections: Lumberton Style

Kim Rogers: A Phenomenal Woman