Vacancies: Lumberton Public Hearings/Board Meetings

On Tuesday, May 7, 2013, the Mayor and Lumberton Board of Aldermnen will attempt to have a public hearing to discuss the implementation of the Hazardous Mitigation Plan. So, far, the efforts to hold this public hearing has been futile. There seems to have been some issue about the time of the scheduled meeting and somehow, the only aldermen that were confused about the time were, yes you guessed it...Johnson, Gibson and Crider. The not so dynamic trio thought the meetings were to be held at 6:30 p.m. and not 6:00 p.m. I consider myself a logical person. Had I missed the first meeting, I think I would have made a little more effort to ensure I had the correct time before missing the second, third and fourth meeting. Correction, they didn't schedule a fourth meeting because the aldermen had other obligations. The public hearing will be held at 5:30 p.m. and the regular scheduled meeting will begin right after the public hearing, at 6:00 p.m.; provided there's enough for a quorum. Thankfully, the time is winding down and the City of Lumberton will go to the polls to elect new officials; hopefully a group of "leaders"; pun intended. After this meeting, I think this board has one more meeting. At their final meeting, I believe the outgoing board will throw their last dirt on the citizens that elected them and vote to retro pay themselves the pay they gave up in an effort to show the citizens they care for this city. I'm only saying this because I want to go on record letting you know I have a feeling they're going to do so because it was done by other out-going boards. Besides, it will also give me one more opportunity to say I told you so. I don't understand why they withdrew their salaries in the first place. Well, yes I do. They did it to try to show they cared about the city. Well, they money paid into their insurance plans outweighed the amount of salary they were pretending to give up. If they wanted to help the city, they should have opted out of receiveing insurance and personally submitted a letter waiving their salary. That way, they wouldn't be able to vote to pay themselves at the end of their term. But somehow, I think they already know that. There are some that have asked me if I'm going to work for .99 when elected (I know I should say if, but I'm just thinking postively)and my answer is no. I'm from the school of thought, you get what you pay for. These aldermen are giving the citizens of Lumberton .99 cent worth of work and it shows. They come to meeting unprepared and often times they don't read their packets until they show up for the meeting. I'm also looking forward to see who attend the board meeting. There are those seeking election, that have never attended a board meeting. In essence, they're saying, I want to serve, without knowing anything about the process. That's akin to a person saying they want to be a pilot without ever getting on an airplane. Hopefully, the members of the board will attend so we can get this mitigation plan in place. I plan on being there and you know I will post the results of the meeting. Remember to govern yourselves accordingly and I will do the same.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FY Budget 2015: Pills and Potions

Stealing Elections: Lumberton Style