What A Week: The Lawlessness and Disorder Edition

There has been a lot going on in and around the City of Lumberton this week. Again, we were on the news but not in a good way. If you have not heard the news, then I don't know where you've been. After the first arrest, there was a post about Lumberton thug arrested or something to that affect. When I first saw their post, I was bothered by the use of the word thug; especially since the term was not used when the gang of gun hoarding, meth making family was arrested in Lumberton. However, as more and more comments were being made about the incident, the author of the original statement was seen in a more favorable light. The comments kept rolling in and I actually felt compelled to respond. For me to agree with the author was totally out of character and for me to comment on the page was weird as well. I generally don't comment or follow the page because of the things that are said but in the end, we may grip about our differences but in reality, we're more alike that some may think. Over the course of the week, there were several social media posts regarding the arrest of two, young males with connections to the City of Lumberton. Well, all three, at one point or another lived in Lumberton. They're all charged with murder, aggravated assault and robbery. Now, there are those that say blogging is the result of an idle mind in an attempt to call it the devil's workshop. Well, perhaps that distinction is reserved for this blog. Any who. But in reality, the devil workshop lies in the fact that individuals will plot to take the life of another person, without any regard of how the death of that person will affect that person's family. No one likes to deal with death but I don't think you should ever take anything from a person that you are not able to return. The young men involved in the incident have family and friends in Lumberton and as my uncle would always say, "We can choose our friends but we can't choose our family." I understand that a family would be supportive of their loved ones. But I also don't understand why there's, seemingly, no compassion for the family of the person that's going to be buried. Just a few months ago, there were people in an uproar, wanting to do bodily harm to a person that wrecked the truck that led to the death of two Lumberton youths. Now this was clearly an accident. I don't know the details of what happened and I don't want to reopen wounds that are still healing. I mentioned this matter to show the difference in reaction. The citizens of Lumberton loved those young boys and I am certain there are friends and family members that loved Matthew Campbell (the young man that was murdered). One thing we must keep in mind, accidents happen and a person's life can be changed in the blink of an eye. As with the case involving the young boys, I don't know the specifics of what happened. I don't know if the murdered man was a gang banger or not. But one thing is for certain, a man is dead and it wasn't by accident. I know there are those that don't like what I have to say but I try to refrain from being judgmental in my assessment of a situation but when you log onto social media with foolery and ignorance; it rubs me the wrong way. Who am I to say that a person does not have the right to feel a certain way? And who are you, family member or not, to tell a person they don't have the right to feel a certain way. I grow weary of those you are not a judge and jury statements whenever someone post their opinion. Stating the fact does not mean condemnation. The people allegedly involved have been charged and will eventually go before a judge and a jury. So when people are told they are not the judge and the jury, that is true, but if the person that's stating their opinion is a registered voter, they can be a possible juror. I will be monitoring the case and will possible provide an update on the matter at a later date. In the meantime, pray for all the families because this is tragedy for all those involved. In other news, there was a meeting at Frank Lee Homes between the residents and the Lumberton Police Department. There was news of the new security cameras and updated banned list. The meeting was brief but the day after the meeting, where there were talks of increased security and the plea for a more peaceful environment, there was a lot of chaos on the property. It seems there was a big fight on the property. After the fight, there were several people going back and forth with one another; hurling threats in the presence of the property manager and police officers. Now, just a day after the Chief of Police spoke of accountability and their desire to work with management to create a more peaceful environment, all hell broke loose. There were police cars speeding back and forth, ambulance drivers looking for directions and pockets of rowdy crowds gathering on several porches. At one point, it seemed that the chief actually stopped her car to tell the family member of one assailant that they have issued a BOLO for his relative. Now, I'm not certain what was said because I was at a distance but it didn't look good; especially with all that happened. For years, the chief has been accused of giving certain relatives of her "friends" a break. As a matter of fact, one of the individuals arrested this past week was allegedly given a pass time and time again by this same officer. At one time, the chief stated that she was waiting to "get him on something bigger." In retrospect, I can imagine that a trespassing charge would have been a more pleasant experience that murder. Please keep in mind, I'm not placing all the blame on the police department, they can only do so much. As a matter of fact, there seems to be trouble in the police camp as well; especially since several on and off duty police officers were meeting late in the day at the cemetery off Pitonia Road. I wonder what that meeting was about. Let me get back to the post before I manage to get more threats from those with and without badges. For the record, there are some that like to proclaim they say what others are thinking. Well, I'm very blunt in my approach to matters regarding Lumberton and I have no way of knowing what others are truly thinking because people are generally not forthcoming. Therefore, I have to rely on the way I'm treated in order to know what people really think of the things I post. I have never been afraid to call the police department out when they are taking short cuts with the law, but I would advise my guest to not park on the blue lines when visiting because we know the LPD will resurrect an antiquated law when they have nothing else to hold against you. And please don't get me wrong, this post is not about my displeasure with Chief Cowart. I think she has made some questionable decisions and that could be a result of her inability to separate her job from her personal affiliation. I can say this, thus far, she has not used her badge in an unethical manner, unlike the chief that served before she took over the LPD, but I also know, she will not stick her neck out for you; unless you're a "friend" or the family member of a friend. Again, back to the regularly scheduled blog post. I know the police department is trying to curtail some activities that usually take place during the summer months at Frank Lee Homes. Again, the residents must start doing their parts as well. The manager at Frank Lee Homes is as shifty as a '63 Mustang; you never know what direction he's going and he never plays by the rules. But that's a known fact. A short dress and a quick flash of the teeth will get you anything you want. It is also known that no one residing there is living on acreage. Everyone is in close proximity to one another and respect can and will go a long way. Now for the police, there needs to be some consistency. What is going on with the patrol? At the first of the month, there's a party but for some reason, the police never patrol during this time. I wonder why? There's "no loitering" signs posted at the entrance and the police will drive past like they can differentiate between a person standing and a posted sign. Since there's a problem with pinpointing the trouble areas, I will give you a hint. Contrary to what should be the norm, those that have a porch full of people are usually the ones living dirty. In other words, there's someone there that's not on their lease and more than likely, the loudest person in the group is probably on the banned list. Side note: I looked the names on the banned list and was surprised that two names were not printed on the updated list. I'm going to have to see what can be done about that. They are too rude and disruptive not to be included on the list. Hopefully, this will not be another summer of hot ghetto madness but from what's been going on up to this point, it seems that we have another long, hot summer on our hands. And another thing, we have some serious issues going on in the City of Lumberton and Alderman Tommy Dukes want to over-regulate the city parks because the free events are cutting in on his sales. Utter ridiculousness. But as I said before, elections have consequences. The residents of Lumberton have the panache of putting the wrong people in office, then after they're elected, and show you who they really are, they want them out of office but the reality is there's nothing can be done. So, keep letting friendships, familial relations and church affiliations dictate your voting pattern and you will continue the detoriation of this city. Let me get off my soapbox, I'm certain that I've offended enough people today. Before I go, I do have some good news. I don't know who's cutting the grass, but they are doing an excellent job at all the cemeteries. Also, the other day, I noticed one of the garbage collectors that took the time to take a garbage can off the street and make sure it was in the customer's yard. In case you were wondering, it was very windy on the day the garbage was picked up and the garbage can belonged to a person that's usually not home during the week. This person emptied her garbage and made sure the can was secure. I'm certain we won't get this type of attention to detail once the board outsources our garbage collection. Kudos to the men of the public works department that are actually doing their jobs. We greatly appreciate all you to. Enjoy your weekend and my next blog post will be about the low pay received by the clerks, police officers and public works employees.

Comments

  1. AT MY DESKING HOLLERING.......I CAN'T FINISH READING THE ENTIRE BLOG FOR LAUGHING AT YOUR CRAZY TAIL.........(LMBO While whipping the tears from my eyes, you are a mess)LOLOL

    Daville!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

FY Budget 2015: Pills and Potions

Stealing Elections: Lumberton Style

Kim Rogers: A Phenomenal Woman