Shooting Straight From the HIPAA


I received several e-mails about people breaking into the old hospital. So, on my way out this morning, I stopped by the abandoned building to see what was going on. To my surprise, there were no "No Trespassing" signs or "Keep Out" signs posted anywhere near the building. There were several windows broken, and when I pulled on the side door I found that it was open. No lock or chains. As I cautiously entered the building, I saw a lot of old office supplies, chairs, and wires. As I journeyed further into the building I saw an office with papers and folders scatterd across the desk. Being the inquisitive (okay, nosey) person that I am, I began looking through the papers, and found patient information, billing information, and the patient's diagnosis. After I found this information so easily, I began to wonder what other information was readily available. So, I opened a file cabinet drawer, and there was more patient information. Now the point I'm trying to get to is who is responsible for all this information being out in the open? I thought HIPAA laws governed the disposal of such information. For those of you who might not know, HIPAA is the Health Insurance Portability and Accountablity Act that was passed in 1996 to protect patient information. The City of Lumberton is opening itself up for some potentially serious litigation. Kids are playing around in the building at night, patient information is being compromised in the age of identity theft, and the building is not being secured. The City of Lumberton is paying the insurance on this building so they must be responsible for the contents of the building. The City of Lumberton is allowing a businessman to demolish several buildings on Main Street, why haven't they given him permission to tear down the old hospital?

Comments

  1. YES IT'S TIME FOR SOMEONE TO CALL WDAM!!!!

    ELPASO

    ReplyDelete
  2. I decided to re-post this blog despite the annonymous comment that I received stating that they were going to have me charged with trespassing. See post about Why I blog? So, to the anonymous person threatening to have me charged with trespassing, I would like to tell you to do what you gotta do. Rest assured, you will have to reveal your identity when you press charges.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It don't take that long to press charges, what's the problem?? LMBO over here out west!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

FY Budget 2015: Pills and Potions

Stealing Elections: Lumberton Style

Kim Rogers: A Phenomenal Woman