Stop Being Negative


I received a very intersting comment the other day and I want to take a moment to respond to that comment. The comment was so well written that I didn't get a chance to get into defensive mode before I allowed the words to take root. I generally don't go back and review what I blog about, but after being informed that I have basically "crucified" every elected official that reside in Lumberton, I decided that I might need to look back on some of my writings. I have been rather harsh when dealing with our elected officials, but I would not go as far to say that I "cruicified" them. The comment made me think of a conversation I had with a friend. This friend would only tell me about the bad things that happened in her relationship, and so when I finally got the opportunity to meet her husband I didn't like him. She never shared any of the good times they had or their moments of joy. All I knew about him was the bad things. So the comment that I received allowed me to have an ah-ha moment. Are the readers of this blog beginning to see only the bad things that take place in Lumberton? Are they aware of the librarians that go above and beyond to help the patrons in any way they can? Are they aware of the warm smile that is always on Ms. Mary's face whenever you enter into the doors of Ramey's? Do they know about the depth of knowledge that Mrs. Bogle possess about the history of Lumberton? Do they know about the caring staff at Kid's Kampus daycare? Do they know about the workers that are actually doing a good job? Do they know about Vivian Lundy and the heart felt letter she sent to the area churches about the generosity of her community and how much love she felt during a time that is generally filled with sorrow? There are a lot of stories like these circulating throughout the City of Lumberton, but I have not blogged about these events. Instead, I have focused this blog on many of the negative aspects of our city's political process. I will be hard pressed to find positive moments at our board meetings, but I promise that I will do my best to find something good to blog about at tonight's board meeting.

Comments

  1. There you go! Much better! I don't even know Ms. Mary's last name, but I've enjoyed the consistent friendliness of Ms. Mary when shopping at Ramey's for years. Also, Mrs. Vivian Lundy is a dear lady with such a sweet spirit about her. She touched many lives during her years of substituting at the school. A little kindness goes a long way! Many of you probably remember Mrs. Ann Byrd that retired from Lumberton Schools. I can't recall a single instance where she had to raise her voice, yet she did not have discipline problems in her classroom. Students just behaved in her class while they sometimes behaved disruptively in others. She treated everyone with respect and kindness automatically. Therefore, they appreciated her respectfulness and automatically had respect for her. Almost everything in life is better when approached with respect and kindness. Even problems can be approached respectfully and result in resolution, whereas hostility and disrespect breed chaos and bitterness. So keep up the positive writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I personally love reading the blog cause there are alot of things I've learned on here that otherwise would be kept secret. I understand that people only want to hear the good news, but in the real world you have to take the good with the bad and decide for yourself whats news worthy. I watched CNN everyday and they report good news and bad news,,you cant decipher what a person prints or what is going on in the world. Everything thats being talked about is not gonna be good all the time, I like the fact that you respect your readers opinion and talk about the good. But the readers need to understand this is a personal blog about everything that goes on in Lumberton from YOUR perspective and the things you hear and research yourself. Im glad you found some good news because being a citizen here, there is not much good to talk about. Every town around Lumberton is growing with Fast Food Restaurants, boutiques, and recreation for the kids while Lumberton doesnt have anything. Its up to our elected officials to help boost the economy but seems they agree to disagree on every topic. *Bottom Line Keep Blogging the Good and the Bad*

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

FY Budget 2015: Pills and Potions

Stealing Elections: Lumberton Style

Kim Rogers: A Phenomenal Woman