Taking Responsibility


I have some faithful readers, and many of them know that my views are in a constant state of evolution. I accept full responsibility for what I say because my response is my responsibility. When I entered the public hearing on Tuesday, and was questioned about something I stated in my blog I was 38 hot. Immediately, I began to think about the hurtful things I was going to post the next day. Now, I have been questioned about my content many times before, but for some reason, this confrontation seemed to rub me the wrong way. However, something happened before I left the meeting and I had to honestly reflect on the things I had planned to say. Afterwards, I didn't feel that it would be fair to blast this person in the public arena. But I would like to address one thing that was said. I don’t judge people with the posts on this blog. I make observations or as Rev. Edwards used to say “I’m a fruit inspector. While I’m on the subject, I would also like to address the person that stated that I was “sowing seeds of discord among the brethren.” Well, I researched that passage, and from what I could ascertain, the bible was giving a warning to those that speak ill of the church. It has nothing to do with blogging about the actions of those that are business men/ministers. My recent posts have led me to partake of a little more crow. I publically criticized our city clerk and I feel that I must publically apologize for the personal attacks that were made against her. I allowed personal comments/attacks that were levied against me to taint my views and I realize that I can no longer hold on to things in the past. Why should I fault Stephanie for wanting to get more certification? The board stated that the City of Lumberton is struggling financially and it was stated that the training wasn’t mandatory. But since the board is so eager to show that “they” are in control, why not use their power trip to your advantage. If I were Stephanie, I would sign up for every course that’s available. Why not? As Aldermen Johnson stated, “it doesn’t matter [what the public think] we have the votes.” Why should I blog about the fact that Sue has not completed her certification in her many years of employment at city hall? The board was aware of this when they took office and they still re-appointed her as deputy clerk. For years, she stated that she could not attend training b/c she didn’t have transportation and now she has avoided training b/c of family issues. Why bother going to training? The aldermen want everyone to know that they are in control so keep doing what you’re doing. If the board of aldermen does not care about Sue not getting her certification and not attending the board meetings like all the other clerks, then why should I be concerned about such trivial matters? Why should be concerned about Roy getting paid overtime to check pumps or whatever on the weekends? Yes, we have a public works director that could perform those duties, but why should I care that Roy is getting paid overtime to perform duties that are covered by a department head salary? Why should I be concerned that Roy has a city issued cell phone b/c the public works director did not think it was fair to call Roy on his personal cell phone? It’s obvious that the board of aldermen felt the same way since they voted to give Roy a city issued cell phone. But I don’t understand the logic in that matter. It’s okay to call the chief of police on his personal cell phone, but not okay to call a public works employee on his personal cell phone. Maybe someone can explain that one to me. When we finally got a dependable group of certified police officers on the payroll, the board of aldermen decided to cut their pay. I guess now we are going to revert to taking in non-certified officers, send them to get trained and watch them as they go to other departments after being trained at the expense of the City of Lumberton. I never thought I would say this in a million years, but despite all the deplorable acts that were committed by Larry Strahan, he made sure that our police officers were paid for risking their lives everyday. I blogged so many times about the things that took place at city hall, but I was placing the blame on the employees not the employers. Those responsible for what’s taking place at city hall are those we elected to serve as our representatives. The mayor interacts with the clerks in the office on a day to day basis. No one is more equipped to give a report on what is taking place in those offices. If she makes a recommendation to the board based on what she observed in the office, the board should support her decision. If the board refuses to act upon the recommendations of the superintending power of the city, then the board of aldermen is at fault. On Tuesday night, it was clearly stated that “we have the votes.” So, the citizens of this city must realize that we are no longer an equation in the political process of this city. Alderman Johnson laid down the gauntlet and basically told the voting public that we don’t matter. The police department’s salary was cut b/c the board of aldermen wanted to cut the police officers salaries. The reason our deputy court clerk has been relegated to minimum wage and a twenty hour work week is b/c the board of aldermen want it that way. I don’t care about the personal agendas of those that are currently in office. I just ask that they look out for the City of Lumberton while they are in the driver’s seat.

Comments

  1. Over the life of your blog you have shared quite thought-provoking information and opinions. For those who really care about this town and who have the wherewithal to start participating, it was initially motivating. Unfortunately, the conjectures and assumptions you have made, the attacks that you posted, and the obvious bias of blogs in the last few weeks have turned your blog into pure entertainment. Jerry Springer could not have mediated a better uproar than your blog has. It is quite unfortunate because the once thought-provoking writer is quickly becoming the ranting court jester who may never be taken seriously again. When did this writing turn into ranting and why? It seems that some folks in the city have learned that feeding you information, whether true or false, can be used to their advantage. That uproar you are causing can feed their flame, whether intentional or not. Don't be that for them anymore. You are better than that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let the flames be feed maybe then the citizens of Lumberton will get the services they need.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to make a correction about the information included in the post. I offered kudos to former mayor Larry Strahan for paying the police department. But after looking through the minutes of his administration, I need to extend kudos to Busby and Rayborn as well. Strahan was able to do what he did b/c he had the support of two aldermen. He knew that they wouldn't vote to override any of his vetos. So looking through the minutes brought some clarity to what has been going on at city hall. In order for Mayor Holder to get anything accomplished, she needs the support of two aldermen.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

FY Budget 2015: Pills and Potions

Stealing Elections: Lumberton Style

Kim Rogers: A Phenomenal Woman