The Kids and Parents Love Coach Brown

I have been told time and time again that this blog does not offer a balanced view of Lumberton and I think I must agree. When I was driving around town and I saw the "We Love Coach Brown" and "Save Coach Brown" signs, I thought they were part of the Lumberton library's jail bail fund-raiser. Well, to my dismay, I later found out that Coach Shane Brown and Coach Anthony Pittman had been terminated from their positions at the Lumberton School System. Brown served as an assistant football/baseball coach and he was also served as the physical education teacher for the Lumberton Elementary school. Pittman was the head boys basketball coach. Pittman is appealing the decision regarding the termination of his contract, but since Brown is in his first year, he's not given the opportunity to appeal the decision of the board. Robert Walker, superintendent of the Lumberton Public School reported that according to state law, a teacher and/or coach may be let go in their first year without any reasong given. Unfortunatly, I'm not familar with the laws governing teaching contracts, but calls to the MAE (Mississippi Association of Educators) have not been returned, but once they answer those questions, I will relay that information back to the readers of this blog. In the meantime, there's a growing number of people that feel that the firings are related to Brian Ford's quest to get more personnel for the football team. From what I've been told, the budgets for all sporting activities, with the exception of the football team, has been slashed. There's a petition going around and signatures are needed. From what I've been told, Coach Brown is an outstanding individual, everyone I've spoken to has said so many great things about him and they love the way he interacts with the children and they love the fact that he's also including special needs children in his physical education classes. There are also reports circulating that Ford has allegedly threatened the parents that signed the petition to save Coach Brown. Allegedly, he told them that if they sign the peition, he would not permit their child to play in the upcoming football season. Rarely, does any one person garner such respect from a town that's generally divided, but it seems that Coach Brown's love,respect and work ethic has earned him a place in the hearts of many. I don't know who has the petition, but I would like to sign it as well, but I would also like to take it a step furter and encourge the people to make sure they attend Lumberton's School Board next meeting and show up with your Coach Brown shirts and signs and let Walker and the board know that "We Love Coach Brown" and we want him back at our school.

Comments

  1. I would like to thank you for bringing this to every ones attention and I myself would like to sign this petition as well. Panther's are bleeding BLACK, WHITE, and BROWN!!!!!!!!!! Love Coacg Brown!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the coaches were done wrong. Let's all support both coaches at the next board meeting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is shane bounds if any one wants to sign the petition i have it at my shop at 7800 hwy 11 B R C body shop

    ReplyDelete
  4. who the hell is coach brown in ms you don't need a reason to fire get over it

    ReplyDelete
  5. w
    hen the kids love a Coach as much as they do Brown then we need to keep him. I as one grandmother of 3 kids in school at LHS Coach Brown has got them to were they love to get out and run and play to build there self up, because Coach Brown told them it was good for them. So PLEASE Keep him for our KIDS THEY NEED HIM.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kids need to boycott all Lumberton sports See if that will speak loud enough! City of Lumberton is rediculous! Stop state funds and let the kids have the coach

    ReplyDelete
  7. I graduated from LHS last year. I knew coach pittman in my time at that school and I do not agree with their firing him. He is a great coach with a big heart. He pushed students to be the best they could be and didn't care what others thought about it. If students were interested in losing weight he would help. Give them guiders and such. At the same time though those of us who were over-weight were never made to feel inferior because of our body sizes. I personally agree with all those students who are fighting for the people in that school who they care about and care about them. Don't allow one man or a board of men to decide what they believe is best for our next generation. That is our choice as Americans and also as fellow graduates and lovers of Lumberton. Without Coaches and teachers like these two men Lumberton High School would be exactly what others want to believe it to be.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

FY Budget 2015: Pills and Potions

Stealing Elections: Lumberton Style

Kim Rogers: A Phenomenal Woman