Deception, Distraction and Democracy

I have been hearing rumors that some potential candidates are not going from door to door getting signatures so they could be placed on the ballots. Instead, they are sending others out to gather signatures for them. I heard this a few weeks ago, but I actually witnessed this happening this weekend. It seems that Ben Winston has hired some people to gather the signatures so he can have his name added to the ballots in the July, 2013 election. I also have heard that Kent Crider and Bobby Gibson are also working from the same play book; allowing others to gather their signatures. Now don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with passing the buck and allowing others to go out an do your leg work but I must say, I would be leary of voting for anyone that did not personally ask for my vote. I need to be able to say to the person I voted for, you personally told me you would try to do x, y and z. But when candidates send others out to do their work for them, they have the ability to always say, I never asked for your vote and/or I never promised you anything. Therefore, by having others gather their signatures, they are not accountable to the people that sign their petition to become elected. You may want to keep that in mind before you go voting blindly for someone because they gave you a few dollars. For the record, there has only been one candidate that asked for my vote and my signature. I am open to listen to those running but if the candidate does not make an effort to secure my vote, I will not have that candidate on my mind when I go to the polls. At this point, the votes are all up in the air. There is plenty of time for the candidates to start getting their platforms together and to start mingling with potential voters. If any candidate assumes I am voting for someone then we all know what is happens when one assumes. I know we live in the age of technology, and there are some candidates that are taking to the internet to spread their word and that is a good idea. It allows the candidate the opportuntity to establish their platform and it's an environmentally friendly way of spreading the word. (No trees have to be cut down when a comment is posted/tweeted/blogged. However, the City of Lumberton is not a metropolis. At some point, prior to the final weeks before election day, I would like to have some sort of interaction with the person that's asking for my vote. At this juncture, my votes are still up in the air. I've decided to keep an open mind in regards to this election, but before you secure my vote/support, you are going to have to lay out your plans before me and I need something in writing, whether it be via the internet or regular print, so I can have something to hold you accountable if and when you take office. It is my hope that the citizens of Lumberton do not lose sight of the importance of this election. We need people in office that will look out for this city and not individuals that are focused on personal gain. In my opinion, if anyone running for office does not think more of you and your vote to get out and personally ask for your signature, then what make you think this person will think enough of you to give you the representation you deserve. We deserve better. The campain has yet to begin and there are those that are already letting you know that you do not matter.

Comments

  1. Jonathan,

    That is why i went out on my own and sat down with prospective voters in Ward 1 personally. If there is one thing i can't tolerate it is someone speaking for me. I like to be able to look people in the eye, watch their body language, and hear what is on their minds. After all, this is their city. I was asking my wife a couple of days ago why a candidate would want someone else speaking for them. There is no telling what they might say. I am of the same opinion that you are. If someone can't find the time to get out and meet the people and talk to them personally, what reason have i got to believe that they have my best interest at heart. Thank you for posting for the best interest of the people.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

FY Budget 2015: Pills and Potions

Stealing Elections: Lumberton Style

Kim Rogers: A Phenomenal Woman