Separating the Wheat from the Chaff

I have been told that I'm not willing to listen but nothing could be farther from the truth. Just the other day, a friend posted something that stopped me dead in my tracks. He's a minister; not one of these fuddy duddy, fire and brimstone ministers. He's a keeping it real type of ministers and he has imparted some seeds of greatness into my life. I am planning on visiting his church when I go to New York this summer. At one time, I had an aversion to Mega Churches, but after enduring some of the things at these family run churches, I am becoming more and more open to the vision/purpose of a Mega Church. This post was not supposed to be about churches; this post was about something that made me stop and think. I mostly communicate with this pastor via twitter/Instagram. Just the other day, he started emailing me because our conversations were getting rather lengthy. What he said, gave me chills. He told me that "the truth can be told in kindness. It doesn't have to be harsh. How people receive it is on them. How you deliver it is on you." I had an "Ah-ha Moment" right then and there. It was at that point that I received what was being given to me. I know I like to espouse the "keeping it real" mentality, but while keeping it real, I must find a better way to tell the truth. Unfortunately, sarcasm does not carry over well through writing. I have no doubt that the things I have posted are factual as well as beneficial, but the tone in which the information was delivered may have resulted in soome individuals getting defensive rather than taking a look at the bigger picture. WTBS: There are those that peruse the blog, looking for fault and they would never be pleased by anything I post. They just take the posts as another venue to market their misery or wallow in the cesspool of victimology. I know I have said some things that may not have set well with others, but I don't make any apologies regarding how I blog. It is/was my hope that I could inspire people. I am still hoping to inspire others. The most inspiring note I received was from someone that said "because of your blog, I didn't give up." Despite what the naysayers may think, that single, handwritten note, outweighs the hatefilled comments posted by anonymous cowards. I told the person I would not post their name, and I'm keeping my word. I have listed to what others said. Some say "oh, this could be a good blog, if." I guess the if would then been followed by whatever offense that person felt on that particular day. Some posts are positive and there are posts that are designed to rip you apart and leave you exposed. Again, I make no apologies for the manner in which I blog. I am a true believer that a person does not truly tell you how they feel until they are angry. Once a person is angry, they will then say the things they normally wouldn't say because of political correctness. So, I know I push the envelope and there was a point when I looked forward to the responses but then the less than brave individuals went into closed group discussions when they relaized I couldn't be swayed from posting what I felt needed posting. One thing this blog has taught me was that I'm stronger than I could ever imagine. Truth be told, I was fearful when I was threatened by an armed police officer but I dared to see this matter to the end; despite the threat of bodily harm. There were those, including but not limited to those sitting on the board at this moment, that wanted to congratulate Hobson and Mullings when they thought they had me backed into a corner. Now, Bobby Gibson was more than willing to apologize to a person that was allegedly threatened with arrest, but I have yet to hear an apology regarding the part he, Johnson, and Crider played in the whole debacle regarding me and my postings in the Lumberton Informer. Again, truth be told, I really don't think they have enough testosterone to admit their part in any of the injustices that were levied again me and coutless others that dared to get in their way. And for those of you that think I am changing the direction of thei blog because I recently decided to run for office. Well, nothing could be further from the truth. The same tenacity I displayed within the blog will be displayed if/when I take office. But in the meantime, Im looking to establish a kinder, gentler verision of this blog. I think my points and views are clear. Now is the time to post solutions and stop focusing on the problems. That is not to say that my blogging is about to get sugar-coated with rainbows and pixie dust. But, I will be mindful of the tone whenever I post about sensitive issues. Just as the minister told me, being mean is a choice. . .not a mandate.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FY Budget 2015: Pills and Potions

Stealing Elections: Lumberton Style

Kim Rogers: A Phenomenal Woman