Review of February 19, 2013 Special Called Meeting

Last night, there were some concerned citizens that were trying to get in contact with me. I was receiving all sorts of text messages and inbox messages so I wanted to know what was going on. I called and found out there was a special called meeting and they were about to hire a new city clerk and a new municipal court judge. Unbeknownst to me, I met the new city clerk earlier that day at the nail salon. I remember her bc we were talking about how expensive it was to fly and I remembered her van because of the eye lashes. So, when I got to city hall last night, the meeting had already started and they were getting ready to take a vote on hiring the new city clerk. There was a unanimous vote to hire Merlene Wall as the new city clerk. I don't remember the salary but it was $27,000 (don't remember the exact amount). She is from Jefferson Parrish and she and Susan Guidry are very good friends. She has a ton of experience within the tire industry but none regarding municipalities. As I sat there, the meeting gave me the felling of being in an episode of Ground Hog Day (the movie). For a second time, it seems that my job application was lost and I definitely did not get an interview. Please keep in mind, I know the members of this board would not vote to hire me if their lives depended on it. That was the reason why I was hoping they didn't hire a new clerk until the new board took office. So, it seems there has been a shift in the power since the termination of Stephanie Mullings. Susan Guidry is now in the cat bird seat. The first time my job application came up missing, it was at the hands of Stephanie Mullings and this time, but this Stephanie is not in the office and my application still ended up missing. Interesting. But I was not upset but as I listed to her give a narrative of her experience and that's when I became a little miffed. So, I guess knowing the right person trumps years of customer service experience, a bachelor's degree and a master's in British Literature but I digress since I don't have any municipal experience and I most definitely don't seem to have anyone in the office or on the board looking out for me. But I never thought I would get the job anyway; especially with this board in office. But as we sat there, I quickly realized that I wasn't the only person denied an interview. It seems that Rachel Jefferson, did not make it to the interview stage either and she has municipal experience as well as a degree. Now, it's sad that individuals that choose to stay in Lumberton are denied the opportunity to make a better living for their families. Time and time again, people are being brought out of retirement and younger people are not given the opportunity to show they are capable of doing the job. Personally, I think Rachel Jefferson would make an excellent clerk and I know there are some that would say I can't believe the anti-white Lumberton Informer is supporting an applicant that is white but I guess there are some that would argue that I'm supporting her because she married to a black man. Whatever the case may be, I still believe she would be perfect for the position and I think we should have been granted the courtesy of being interviewed by the board. It seems that Mrs. Wall was hired before the board meeting actually began. I almost fell out of my seat when it was said she had already viewed the city's financial ledgers and records. Heaven's to Betsy! Where they do that at? But I guess the old adage is true, it not what you know, it's who you know. So, I was so peeved by this that I just left city hall with my packet to run for Alderman of Ward 3. I no longer feel I have any representation on this board. The actions of the board almost made me wanted to start supporting Ben Winston for Mayor. (Lawd hab mercury!) But thankfully, I came to my senses and didn't let anger push me that far over the edge. The board also voted to hire a new municipal judge. I don't remember his name, but his last name is Pittman. I apologize that I don't have more information but there was only one agenda other than the one printed out for the board members. During his interview process, I found it interesting that Alderman Bobby Gibson demanded the judge give his telephone number to all the aldermen. I was thinking, why would they need the judge's telephone number but then it hit me. In case an alderman's family member is in a bit of trouble, the alderman can call the judge and remind him who voted him into office and who can vote him out of office. I think the judge is getting paid $500/month. During the hiatus or executive session break, Wanda Crider revealed that Stephanie Mullings is suing each alderman for $250,000/each. During the break, I noticed that several police officers/city workers insurance had lapsed despite the money being deducted from their paychecks. Really? It was also revealed that Betty Speights, court clerk has collected over $20,000 in fines. It's amazing how much money is accounted for when it's actually being deposited. There was a motion to reinstate the Mayor's salary, but (Crider, Gibson, and Johnson) refused to vote on the salary issue. Crider's objection was that he did not agree with the retro pay, but the pay was not going to cover all the entire time she did not get paid; only a portion of the missed pay periods. Also, there was a motion to give Susan Guidry a raise. That motion also died. Now, I'm not saying she does not deserve a raise, but there are those working on the city, in the harshest of elements and they too deserve a raise. There are some that have been on the city's payroll for over 7 years and have yet to get a raise and that's not fair. It's time out for overlooking those that cut our grass, pick up our garbage and read our water meters. These are men, and they are trying to provide for their families and they need a livable wage. And if they would stop bringing people out of retirement, they would have the money needed to give these guys a raise. I am more than certain Richard Jefferson could learn how to operate a bush-hog or back hoe if given the time and/or training. The money the city spent to bring Albert Georgia out of retirement, could have been used to supplement a raise for the Public Works Department. I know I have talked harsh of some of those guys and the ones just riding around in the truck and the ones that don't have sense enough to retire are still on my short list, but those that are doing an honest days works should be able to have something left over in their checks instead of living week to week basically making ends meet. I have a lot on my mind today and I will have several posts today. This blog is about to take a new direction. If you didn't like me before, you probably not going to like me now. It's time for me to put my money where my mouth is and since my voice is not getting heard from the sidelines, I think it's time for me to try to get in the game.

Comments

  1. is anybody running against UNCLE TOM a.k.a LiL Tim Johnson

    ReplyDelete
  2. John, I know the city is in a crunch, but I thought the city clerk had to be from within r near Lumberton city limits. Also you still have a chance with new board in office "technically" the board has to hire/rehire when they replaced n office. Leonette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merlene live here. She said she moved here years ago after retiring. I'm done with seeking employment with this city. I've decided to run for office bc I'm tired of sitting back and hoping someone would stand up and do the right thing. I may not win bc I'm not really liked in the black or white community but at least I'll make the effort.

      Delete
  3. Introducing your new municipal court judge:

    http://caselaw.findlaw.com/ms-supreme-court/1117479.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is anyone running for mayor besides Ben Winston? I hope he isn't our only choice.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

FY Budget 2015: Pills and Potions

Stealing Elections: Lumberton Style

Kim Rogers: A Phenomenal Woman