Hiding Behind Anonymity

I guess it's going to be one of those days. First, I found a plain manailla envelope tucked behind the pillow of my patio chair. The contents were much like the one I received regarding Dennis Hobson, former Chief of Police. This time, another police officer was the target. I thought nothing of the letter other than the fact I did not like that someone was that close to my door. I think I'm going to need to install a security camera. It's amazing that people travel through this area all times of day and night, but no one ever sees anything. I brushed off the anonymous letter and then I logged onto facebook and discover that someone delivered a letter or letters signed the "Lumberton Informant." I don't know if this was an attempt to try to get others to blame me for the work of some coward or what was going on. But one thing is for certain, I never had nor will I ever have the need to address anyone annonymously. In the words of J. Cole, "childish shit." I don't have time. Well, while looking for the words to describe what was happening, I found an article written by Robert Clements. Let me share some of the experts of his writing on "Hiding Behind Anonymity." In the good old days, cowards drew out dagger or spear and in a crowd drove such spear or dagger into the chest of some unwary person. Nobody knew who did the deed because they, the dagger thruster was hidden well. Very often today with CC TVs installed everywhere, or a secret cameraman in the vicinity, the photo catches the person committing the crime. What you see on his face is the total feeling of security that he is throwing the stone, or sometimes molesting a woman. But today we have [other forms]of cowards. They send anonymous letters or they go on a signature campaign and hide behind the signatures of all the others they have managed to convince to sign. Suddenly somebody says, “Hey wasn’t it you who went around getting signatures?” And the person replies, “I am just one of the many signatories!” It is so easy to hide behind anonymity. I hear quite often stories, after which the person whispers, “Please don’t mention my name, okay!” A man I knew went about gathering signatures. He went from house to house trying to convince people to sign his petition, later, when the person to whom the petition was given asked, “Who spearheaded this operation?” The person who had done so, replied, “Does it matter?” Yes it does, because it doesn’t only show how brave you are, it also shows the strength of your conviction. I believe in something, so I am willing to say that I was the mastermind! I believe what is being done is wrong, so I am leading a movement against it! I believe that though I gathered other people to sign with me, still I should reveal I started the issue. This is not just courage, this is the right thing to do. Every action needs a face, unless it’s an election where voters vote in secret, and a faceless majority topples politicians with a face. But a movement needs a face. The worst people, the biggest cowards are those who write anonymous letters; especially those that send anonymous letters and try to convince the receiver that it was written by someone else. If you're going to throw stones, at least have the guts to stand up and say you were part of it, don’t hide behind anonymity, like many do..!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FY Budget 2015: Pills and Potions

Stealing Elections: Lumberton Style

Kim Rogers: A Phenomenal Woman