The De-Construction of a City

The writing was on the wall from day one. Perhaps you wasn't willing to accept the message because of your feelings for the messenger. But I have news that your self-proclaimed, supernatural Mayor, Ben Winston, has been meeting with Lamar County officials to put the final nail in his plot to kill the City of Lumberton. From what I've been told, he's trying to ink a deal that would eliminate the Lumberton Police Department and turn those duties over to the Lamar County Sheriff's Department for an estimated $300,000/year or $25,000/month. Essentially outsourcing police protection. Well, we can't say we didn't see this coming. First he sold the Lumberton Public Library to Lamar County for a whole dollar. Next, he disbanded the Lumberton Volunteer Fire Department Support group and we're relying on other departments to respond to emergency call because of the lack of trained and/or certified personnel on the current fire department. Also, for the last few months, he's been looking to outsource garbage collection and reading of the water meters. Now, these jobs are still going to cost the residents of Lumberton but those filling the positions will not be residents of Lumberton. Each month, he takes another step closer to shutting this city completely down. Is that what he's been praying for on the corner every Saturday or is this his way of trying to fulfill his plan of turning Lumberton into a retirement village? Another question I would like to ask. Who gave him the authority to begin negotiations with Lamar County to replace our police department? I was at the last board meeting and do not recall this measure getting approved. As you know, the city speaks through its minutes. If you are concerned about the direction in which this city is going, then you need to demand answers. This proposed plan is slated to go into effect on February 20, 2014. So, at some point he will have to present this to the board for approval. I for one will be asking for a list of dates regarding these unauthorized negotiations. Now you don't have to take my word. Ho to the next board meeting and see for yourself. One thing for certain. Its time for the residents of Lumberton to realize that the power of the people is always greater than the people in power.

Comments

  1. Lumberton is a dead town. Why not give it away?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really think that the city of Lumberton would be a great city if people like Ben were not given this "power". He has done nothing since he was elected and to me it seems he is only looking out for himself. The people of Lumberton need to speak up and not let this supernatural poser ruin this town. Well what is left of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mrs. Holder didn't give a crap about Lumberton. She only cared about being the superintendent but you loved her.She was a joke.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well...you are correct on one account. I loved and still love Mayor Holder. I love the fact that she fought for accountability even if it meant upsetting voters. I love that she tried time and time again to get the board to stop the hemmoraging of funds that was taking place in the clerk's office even at the cost of her freedom. I love that she saw past complexion and saw community. I love that she refused to give up on Azalea Garden and saw it come into fruition. I love that she fought for our police department despite the obvious corruptive nature of the former chief, Denis Hobson. I love that she actually took time to research state laws and didn't just Google them. I love the fact that she continue to hold her head high despite the need some have to believe a lie rather than embracing the truth. So yes you are correct in one assertion. I love Mayor Miriam R. Holder and the fact that her only agenda was/is to see that Lumberton prosper for future generations.

      Delete
  4. Meriam Holder did what she felt would cause the City of Lumberton to prosper. Sure, all of her decisions weren't popular, but they didn't lead to the destruction of the City. She not only fought for our Police Department, but she fought for our Fire Department as well. We didn't have any contract issues for 4 years Every year it was renewed, until this past August. Since then, my name has been drug thru the mud in Lamar, Forrest, & Pearl River Counties. To these counties I am a thief and a liar. Wonder who got all of that started? I did nothing but dedicate my life to the protection of the citizens of Lumberton. Had a fire department that was 95% certified and served this community with pride. I just wish whoever is spreading this crap all over the tri-county area would come ask me to my face about it. I have the right to face my accuser and defend myself. The men and women who make up the Lumberton Fire Department Support Group have not disbanded. We are still a legal non-profit who intends to resubmit our proposal in August to provide fire and EMS service to the city of Lumberton.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

FY Budget 2015: Pills and Potions

Stealing Elections: Lumberton Style

Kim Rogers: A Phenomenal Woman