Waterboarding: The Lumberton Edition

Here we go again. How many times are we going to travel around this mountain? The events I am talking about happened approximately one week ago today. There are those that say why you wait to speak about these things? Well, contrary to popular belief, if I don't have the information, I don't blog about it. Thankfully, I stumbled across the information when I overheard some individuals talking. I still was not convinced that what I had heard was true, so I started asking around and low and behold, I was able to gather enough details to compose this blog post. So, I will let you decide if you believe it or not. For the record, no one I spoke to said anything about Stephanie C. Mullings doing anything to any of the clerks; her mother, former deputy clerk, Faye Engles, did all the dirty work for her. Including but not limited to cussing out all the clerks in the office and calling Ben Winston to force him to have the unpaid water services restored at the address that at Stephanie C. Mullings domicile; allegedly speaking of course. Well, it seems that last week, there were 119 customers that were on the cut off list to have their water services disconnected for non-payment. However, out of the 119 customers, only one customer had their water restored without paying a dime to city hall and that customer was Stephanie C. Mullings. Now, how did she manage such a farce? It has been rumored that she knows where the bodies are located and everyone she has "dirt" on will jump through hoops to keep her from uncovering the bones. For a long time, I thought the "dirt" was only on Kent Crider, Timothy Johnson (Winston's son-in-law) and Bobby Gibson (Winston's friend and business partner), but after Mayor Ben "Stepin Fetchit" Winston, willfully broke the law by demanding the Public Works Director to restore water services to Stephanie C. Mullings address without receiving payment, led me to believe that he was the puppet master behind all the lawless activities of Crider, Johnson and Gibson and Faye called him, threatening to cut the strings. Allegedly. Leaving his dirty hands exposed. This has been a problem before and that is the reason why the city is drowning in debt. The City of Lumberton stood to collect $5,355 in late fees and re connection fees from the customers that failed to pay their water bills. Please note, this does not include the past due water bill amounts, just the fees associated with the past due water bills. For the last four years, former city clerk, Stephanie C. Mullings, arbitrarily selected whose water would and would not be disconnected due to non-payment. You are wondering why the city is financially strapped, consider the loss of money associated with non-payment of water bills. In one week, the City of Lumberton was owed $5,355 in fees alone. Over a year, that fee could add up to be $278,460. Over the course of four years, the total could be $1,113,840. So, are you still wondering why the City of Lumberton is in the shape it's in? That's a lot of money. Money that could be used to pay overdue bills and payroll. Former mayor, Miriam R. Holder, realized the great loss of money in the clerk’s office and she submitted a request to the attorney general's office in an effort to stop the selective assessment of late fees and allowing certain friends and family members to avoid having their water disconnected. In accordance to Mississippi Code Annotated Section 21-27-23(e) With respect to the termination of water services, it is clear that a municipality is authorized to terminate a utility service for nonpayment of a just bill, provided that notice and an opportunity to be heard has been given to the customer. MS AG Op., Greenlee (April 3, 2009). I don't think it could be any clearer. So, why in the name of supernatural power, did Ben Winston, make the unethical decision to have water restored to one customer and not the others. Keep in mind, a dialysis patient was also had their water services disconnected and had to pay to have their water services restored. According to my sources, after the water at Stephanie C. Mullings was disconnected, her mother, Faye Engle came to city hall and allegedly verbally assaulted the clerks; using all types of profanity. She then, allegedly, told them "we'll see about that after I call Ben." Well, surprise surprise (in my Gomer Pyle voice), Ben stormed into the office, allegedly and demanded they have the water restored, despite the fact that he was told no money was paid on the bill. According to Ben "Bo jangles" Winston, the city attorney, allegedly said that "we shouldn't add salt to the wound and just turn the water back on." Seriously, Lindsey Carter, that was your solution? Break the law because of a pending lawsuit. I find that very odd that they are capitulating to the threats of a pending lawsuit. Just the other week, when the board was making a decision to terminate a police officer, Ben came out of the executive session repeating over and over again, "I ain't moved by threats of a lawsuit." Well, I guess he needs to amend that statement because they told Ninja Nathan to jump and he said how high, without any concerns of the ethical violation. So Ben barked his orders and the rest complied. You see, it's times like this that I wished I worked in the clerk’s office. I wish he would come into my office, yelling like he just got off the U.S.S. Armistead, demanding I violate the laws because he's afraid of what's in the envelope and how many of his skeletons would be exposed. That's one thing I liked about former clerk ,JoAnn Ladner, she knew her rights and responsibilities. Ben can come in and make all the threats he wanted and I would not allow him to usurp my duties as a clerk. The only thing Ben Winston could have done to the clerks was to suspend them, with pay. I would have taken my pay and let him explain to the employees of the City of Lumberton why payroll wasn't ready. It's time out for this level of fear that has seemingly taken over this city. If Ben does not like women in authority, then he shouldn't like serving on the board. There's only one woman elected to serve on the board this term but the platform is full of bitches. Mayor Holder was arrested for allegedly tampering with a police investigation. So, where is the arrest warrant for Ben Winston for stealing from the City of Lumberton? It is against the law for the government to donate services and by refusing to allow Stephanie C. Mullings water to remain disconnected until she made a payment is essentially donation of services. Hopefully, the other 118 customers will fill and ethics complaint against Winston for his flagrant disregard of the law. I am also wondering why nothing was done to Faye for her utter disrespect for those at city hall. Just a few months ago, she was boasting on the Lumberton Informer's Face book page how she and her family got together to pay the $15,000 retainer needed for her daughter to obtain a lawyer to sue the City of Lumberton. Your family could raise thousands of dollars to pay a lawyer but refuse to pay a water bill. I guess we all need to file a lawsuit against Lumberton since it seemingly give you access to free water. One thing is for certain, anything "dirt" Stephanie has on any past or present elected official will eventually be revealed. The fact that Ben Winston is still jumping through fiery hoops to prevent the unsealing the envelops only shows he was more involved in the city's current condition that we previously thought. Innocent people don't give in to threats, Innocent people will say put your cards on the table and let's continue the game; not fold their hand and hope you're just bluffing. There will be a special called meeting next Tuesday. If you know anyone that had their water disconnected in the past week, I would encourage you to attend the meeting so Ben Winston can explain why they were not given the opportunity to get free water. As I said before, the power of the people is more that the people in power. Either you can continue to allow them to run this city with their Gestapo tactics or you can demand answers. I find it strange that Winston and Crider cry the city is broke month after month, but that does not stop them from depositing the checks they receive every month from the City of Lumberton. If you don't want the clerk to do her job, then stop whining about the debts of this city. Its crunch time and those on the board will have to show their true colors next week. Either you for the betterment of the City of Lumberton or you're for the continued corruption. There are no grey areas here and how your alderman/alderwoman respond next Tuesday, will show you where they stand.

Comments

  1. Faye Engle wanted me to meet with her so she can prove that this blog post is incorrect. Well in a country where Zimmermann is considered a celebrity for shooting an unarmed black boy, I declined to let this elderly white woman who probably sees me like Paula Dean does, know my exact location. But in all fairness, I think she wanted to let me know that Stephanie's water bill was paid. But was the garbage fees and/or late fees paid? Those fees can lead to ha,,ving the water disconnected as well. I hope that brings some clarity to the matter. Besides, if my statements are untrue, they can add me to the pending lawsuit since they've already paid a retainer. Unlike Crider, Johnson, Gibson and Winston, I don't have any skeletons that haven't been unearthed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You truly are a Coward. This is 2014 why don't you grow up! That woman wouldn't have hurt you! Be a man !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If MY blog is based on lies...why are YOU so upset? There's a lot of racist people in Lumberton and I'm not letting someone that probably have the same mindset of Paula Dean to know where I'm located. I don't know what she had planned. If she had paperwork to show me then it could gave been left for me. I am a nan and I'm nan enough to watch as well as pray. However, after hearing her side of events, there's more to what happened and I will blog again with the additional information.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

FY Budget 2015: Pills and Potions

Stealing Elections: Lumberton Style

Kim Rogers: A Phenomenal Woman