Paper Chasing


I was at city hall this morning at 9:00 a.m. to get a copy of the long-awaited auditor's report. I called yesterday to make sure that the reports would be available, and I was told that the reports would be ready Thursday, July 14, 2011. Well, when I get to city hall, I am told that the reports are not ready. I told them that it was printed in the Lamar Times reported the following: " the City of Lumberton hereby gives notice that its annual audited financial report for the year ended September 30, 2010 has been completed. Copies are available to the public at 102 E. Main Avenue." I don't know about you, but that seems to indicate that the copies are available, but that's not how it reads to those working at city hall. I put in a request for the report, but this is just another example of the work that's not getting done, but they are getting paid to sit in the office and do nothing. It seems that every time I try to get information from city hall, it requires an act of Congress to get a reply. Last week I was faced with the same dilemma. I wanted a copy of the claims docket and the budget/expenditures report for June. Stephanie came out to explain that she was swamped with work because she's in the middle of doing payroll. I asked if she could just pull the information from her board packet and run it off, but she insisted that I wait to get it at a later date. I told her I didn't want to wait because I didn't want to be charged for research and said that it could have been copied in the amount of time she took to explain why she couldn't just copy the papers. She said that I wouldn't be charged for the research or administration fee so I took her at her word (big mistake) and said I would wait to get the papers I requested. The next day, I called to see if the paper were ready, and when I got to city hall, Sue handed me the receipt and I noticed that I was charged a research fee. I asked her to call Stephanie from her office, and as Stephanie was emerging, I told Sue "never mind, I know why she charged me the fee. . .I forgot I was dealing with a liar. .don't bother getting an explanation. .she's just gonna tell another lie. . and I thanked Sue for the papers and left. Somehow, I seem to always request paperwork on Thursdays (payroll day) but I guess I will have to wait to share my insight on the auditor's report because, despite what's posted in the Lamar Times, copies are not available for the public.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FY Budget 2015: Pills and Potions

Stealing Elections: Lumberton Style

Kim Rogers: A Phenomenal Woman