To Serve and To Protect



Where were the police officers this Easter weekend? While getting ready for worship services, I was looking out the window, and I saw a large group of people running. When I went to the front door to see what was going on, I realized that a fight was going on. I went back into the house, and finished getting ready for church. I was surprised that I didn’t hear any police sirens. At that moment, I didn’t give it another thought, and went to church. My niece and her friends had come down from Jackson for the weekend, and they wanted to see what the “Day in the Park” was all about. Well, after church, they changed clothes, and found that the 5th Avenue Park had been closed because the city didn’t have enough officers on duty to patrol the park. So it dawned on me to make some calls in an effort to see how many officers were on duty, and I was not impressed with the response. So, that was why no one responded to the fight, and that was why I saw such a large number of underage drivers speeding throughout the neighborhood, and that was why no one responded to my call that several people were using Myrick Avenue and North 10th Street as a racing track.
It is a known fact that the Police in Lumberton are chronically understaffed. But that is not excusable when it comes to the safety of the citizens of Lumberton. Because there wasn’t another officer on duty for back-up, I understand why the officer that was on duty did not respond to the calls regarding the fights, and the drag racing. Something needs to be done to ensure that this type of situation does not occur again. Do I have the solution to this problem? No. And will the solution be favorable to all? No. But something needs to be done to ensure the safety and well being of the citizens of Lumberton, and the officers that are here to serve and to protect.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FY Budget 2015: Pills and Potions

Stealing Elections: Lumberton Style

Kim Rogers: A Phenomenal Woman