Cease and Desist


There must be something in the air. Another person has contacted me and told me that I will be hearing from their lawyer. I guess that phrase is supposed to scare me into abandoning the things I say on this blog, but if they would take a few moments and read the disclaimer (the tab located under the photo of Lumberton City Hall) they would have a better understaning of why I am not moved by their threats to seek legal counsel. Just for the record, I have written several cease and desist letters myself, and if they get an attorney, the letter I receive will probably be something like this:

Dear Mr. Griffith:

This law firm represents [Private], and we have been
asked to write this letter to you. Some of your
statements about [Private] in your blog are
untrue and defamatory. You made them maliciously to
injure [Private]in its trade, office and profession. As
such, they are defamatory per se. Under MS Law
51-5-11, this letter constitutes a demand for
immediate retraction in writing of these statements.
[Private] deamnds that your retraction
and correction be accompanied by an editorial in which
you specifically repudiated your statements.

Below, we have noted some of the more patent,
malicious, and libelious comments made by you in your
blog; some of them also evidence your tortious
interference. If [Private] is forced to file suit to stop
your wrongful conduct, it will also seek an award of
its attorney fees and litigation expenses.

Now, I hope you read that letter carefully, because it made reference to statements "I" made, and I am only responsible for my statments. I am not responsible for comments left by anonymous readers. Also, the attorney would need to prove that there was malicious intent in what I was writing. Like one of my advisors said, "my head ain't big for nothing."

Comments

  1. I agree you should not be held for anything that anyone other than yourself says.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I say this site is freedom of speech, if anyone says otherwise, they can like it or lump it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

FY Budget 2015: Pills and Potions

Stealing Elections: Lumberton Style

Kim Rogers: A Phenomenal Woman