A Rose By Any Other Name. . .


October is breast cancer awareness month. I wanted to take a break from Lumberton Politics, and tell you about a woman that I befriened about two years ago. Her name is Ms. Willie Rose. We lived across the street from one another, and we would talk almost every morning. I remember when she told me that she was diagnosed with cancer. I remember it so vividly b/c she received her diagnosis a few weeks after a member of my family was had received the same news. I remember standing at the end of the drive way as she was telling me what the doctors had told her. I thought I was taking the news well, but Ms. Willie Rose stopped in mid-sentence and said to me. "No sir, you can clear them tears out of your eyes and don't give me that sad look because this cancer thang ain't gonna get me." I didn't realize that I was saddened by her news, but she put an end to that real quick and that was one of the things that I love about Ms. Willie Rose; she is going to be straight-forward with you weather you wanted it or not. We would both sit out and have our morning conversations, and I was amazed at how well Ms. Willie Rose was doing. She continued to cook, clean, walk around and visit other people despite enduring her treatments. She didn't change her routine, and she was always on the go. I made sure that I was able to see her every morning because she always assured me that she was fine and that she still had more work to do. I am glad to see that Ms. Willie Rose is still thriving and going about her business. She is not a cancer survivor or overcomer; Ms. Willie Rose is a conqueror. Although we are no longer neighbors, I still get the opportunity to see Ms. Willie Rose. She has moved in with her daughter,Dr. Carla Holder,and I don't get many opportunites to sit and talk with her, but my heart leaps with joy when I see her walking up the hill towards Tabernacle. She continues to amaze me and she is steadily moving forward. I honor you Ms. Willie Rose. Throughout your battle with cancer, you endured with dignity, courage and determination. When I think of our morning conversations, I am reminded of the passage from Proverbs 31:25-31. "She is clothed with strength and dignity; she can laugh at the days to come. She speaks with wisdom, and faithful instruction is on her tongue. She watches over the affairs of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness. Her children arise and call her blessed. . . Many women do noble things,but you surpass them all. Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised. Give her the reward she has earned, and let her works bring her praise at the city gate." Knowing you and having you as a neighbor has truly enriched my life. May God continue to bless you and with long life He shall show forth His salvation.

Comments

  1. I so enjoyed this.. My aunt was just told she has breast Cancer and she is the same way as Ms Rose. Her faith in the Lord is gonna get her through.. Thank you for reminding all of us that there are some things that are more important in this world...

    ReplyDelete
  2. great scripture! Not many ladies live up to it this day and time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I needed to read this Jon. You never know where the word will come from when God decides to speak to you. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Raise awareness! Save second base!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

FY Budget 2015: Pills and Potions

Stealing Elections: Lumberton Style

Kim Rogers: A Phenomenal Woman