What The Hale?


The black man suffering at the hands of whites, the white woman sexually threatened by the black man. Both images have long been burned into the American conscience through popular entertainment, and today they exert a powerful and disturbing influence on Americans' understanding of race. After the post about "What The Hale is Really Going On?" I was surprised to find that many of the readers of this blog felt that it was no big deal that the husband of an alderman was arrested for the manufacturing of a controlled substance, but the same one that condoned this behavior made some disturbing assumptions about individuals that drive "fancy cars with rims." According to one reader, I shouldn't focus on the activities of an elected officials' husband, but I should blog about individuals that drive fancy cars with rims; a group of individuals that, to my knowledge, are not related to any elected official and a group of individuals that, to my knowledge, have not been arrested for the manufacturing of a controlled substance. But surely, those driving fancy cars with rims are selling drugs, according to one reader.

I also received a comment that I shouldn't say anything about Rebecca and Stephanie. Where was this concern when I posted things about Miriam Holder, Ben Winston, Timothy Johnson, and Bobby Gibson? It's okay to hold them accountable for their actions, but not Stephanie and Rebecca. Am I suppose to operate under two different sets of rules? Where was the concern for the truth when Betty Speights was accused of giving her family adjustments on their water bills? Is it okay for me to blog about the water bill issue? Well, I'm glad you said so. . So let me get this straight, I can't blog about Stephanie allegedly allowing her uncle to receive free water services to not one, but two of his businesses, but I'm allowed to publish allegations against Betty. Jerry Brown did attend a board meeting, with a stack of papers and refuted the allegations that he received free water services, but I am still stuck on a statement he made. He said "Stephanie knows the location of all my businesses and she is harder on me because I am her uncle." Now that's an interesting statement, but, according some readers, I'm not supposed to mention anything about Stephanie. So let's talk about the allegations that Betty Speights gave her sister a water adjustment. According to the minutes, the water adjustment was given to Tina's Hair Salon along with another 12 customers that were actually receiving water bills and the adjustment was approved by the board of aldermen, but I guess that's not what you wanted to hear. You don't want the facts of the matter, you rather I just insinuate that something untoward was going on and that Betty was stealing from the city. You would be perfectly fine with that statement, but when the same allegations are levied against Stephanie, it's unacceptable.

On the surface, the City of Lumberton would have you to believe that we are more racially and ideologically diverse than we actually are. For instance, take a look at our board of aldermen, we have two black aldermen (Johnson and Gibson) that are working in partnership with two white aldermen (Crider and Hale). Unfortunately, they are not working together for the benefit of the citizens of Lumberton. The currents of bias and division that fueled the conundrums of the past have truthfully only cloaked themselves in subtler, more nuanced garbs, and as such, require a far warier and sophisticated frame of mind to navigate them successfully.

Comments

  1. So what is a city to do when an alderman up and leaves town shortly after the spouse is arrested for manufacturing a controlled substance? Does that seat just sit empty until the next round of elections?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Lumberton is still a racist city and it will always be as long as we have closed minded individuals living here. They smile in your face and talk about you behind your back that is the way it is done. Not only are the racists. White they are Black also. When Rebecca's husband was arrested on a drug charge he was simply "supplementing their income" that is what they do. When a black man does it, he is "a drug dealer". When we are accused of taking or adjusting something to help someone it is called stealing and we should be fired, but when a white person does the same thing it is embezzlement and it is just pushed under the carpet. Now to the comment about cars with rims, just because we take pride in our rides and want them to look good with rims don't make us a dope dealer, it is called wanting to look good while driving. The town is want to shed negative light on the black community but the white community is untouchable. This makes me think of the time when Black Officers were not allowed to stop white citizens but white officers could stop black citizens, WTH. Now it is ok for you to blog about your own race but not speak the truth about the whites, you didn't start the questioning about Rebecca's husband Lamar County did when it was put in black and white. This city or whats left of it is "Going to Hell in a handbasket". Jon keep doing what you are doing letting us know about the things going on in this city.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lumberton is still full of racist they just don't get to wear their white sheets anymore so can know who they are. There are several businesses that when you walk in you, you know you are not wanted their but they have to serve you because we are the ones paying their bills. I have been in business in town and I have heard with my own ears comments about a black man in there store. They didn't even care that I was there I was just a black woman but what made it soo bad was one of the guys turned to me and asked me if I agreed. I looked at him and told him Niggers come in all colors and that are a lot of white Niggers in Lumberton because Webster defines the word as (lazy, worthless, not having motivation) they looked at me as I walked away and I know at that point I was called a Nigger, but it does not matter what you are called, it matters what you answer to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'VE ALWAYS HATED THOSE OLD BLACK/WHITE IMAGES/PHOTOS IN THE HISTORY BOOKS...IF I WERE RAISED IN THAT DAY AND AGE, I WOULD NOT WANT TO DRINK IN BEHIND SOME OLD NASTY WHITE PERSON ANYWAY...YOU KNOW THEIR NASTY RUMPS ARE KNOWN FOR SPITTING TOBACCO, SNUFF, AND SKOAL IN FOUNTAINS ANYWAY....IF THEY STILL DOING IT NOW, I'M SURE THEIR YUK MOUTHS WERE DOING IT THEN....

    EL PASO!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jonathan, you don't seem to want to publish my post....about the alderman/alderwoman leaving...until she establishes residency in another city...nothing you can do...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't heard anything about any alderman/alderwoman leaving the city and setting up residency in another city. I was told that she was at the special called meeting last night, but if she decides to leave before her term expires, the city will have to hold a special election.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Leave the racism to the ignorant people who practice it. Sometimes I'm not even sure you can call it racism in this town, it is simply ignorance on the part of all races. There are people in this town who care, and who do not base their decisions or their loyalties on the color of people's skin. There are alot of crazy people in this world, alot of losers, alot of just plain bad people. But for some reason, the majority of them seem to have landed here in Lumberton. We don't have a racist problem. We have an idiot problem.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

FY Budget 2015: Pills and Potions

Stealing Elections: Lumberton Style

Kim Rogers: A Phenomenal Woman