Throwing In The Towel


I know some readers saw the title of this post and their hearts leaped with joy, but I'm not throwing in the towel; this post is about Harry Wilkes. Over the weekend, I was told that Harry was informed that he could not receive his sick pay, despite the fact that he is sick. So, I went by his house to see what was going on. Yesterday, I went with him to city hall to see if we could get this matter corrected. He was told that he needed a letter from the doctor. While there, Stephanie told him that all she needed was a note from a doctor saying that he was being treated. She said, "Don't you know Dr. Carla Holder. . if you could get her to write you something on a prescription pad, we can get you your money. . but we need something in writing." We left city hall and went to the medical clinic and got him an appointment that day, and took the letter back to the office. For now, he will receive his sick pay, but now they are telling him that he needs to bring a note from the doctor every week, despite the fact that the note he gave them did not list a return to work date. I spent several hours with Harry trying to get help him get the sick days/comp time he accumulated over the years, and it seemed like every step he took, left him two steps behind. Harry said that he appreciated all the help that he received from differnt people. He also said that he worked for the City of Lumberton for almost 13 years, out in the heat, rain and cold and he shouldn't have to rely on hand-outs in order to make it from day to day. Harry said that he was tired of fighting. He said that he would like for them to fire him and give him the money they owe him. "I'm tired of fighting, Harry said, Danny know I did my work and I was one of the main ones asking for him to come back to work for the city, but I don't want to be nowhere I ain't wanted" Harry said that he just want them to let him go. So, has anyone asked Harry about what he wants? From the conversation I had with him yesterday, he just want to go home and no longer feel like fighting to keep his job. Harry said that he's gonna be alright. The last thing Harry said to me before getting out of the car was "I can sleep at night, I know I didn't do anyone wrong and I know that I did my job. It ain't many up there at city hall that can say that."

Comments

  1. I have known Harry Wilkes for many years and He has always been a good, hard working man and I hate that He is having to go to such lengths to get his sick pay. One note from the doctor without a return to work date should be sufficient for anybody. I hope He gets well soon and will keep Him in my prayers and pray that no one else has to go through something like this to get what is due them. Susan Walters

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH H*** NAWL-GET THE GASOLINE!!! I FEEL LIKE BURNING A CROSS, AND NOT IN A BLACK PERSON'S YARD EITHER!!!! This is too sad..... *tears*

    El Paso

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yesterday, Harry was told that he needed a doctor's excuse to receive pay for his sick days since he had been off for more than three days. Yes, that is in the personnel policy, but there is nothing in the policy to saying that he can not receive pay for his sick days prior to submitting a doctor's excuse. I will suggest that he submit this matter in writing and have it reviewed b/c his doctor's excuse did not give him a return to work date and that should be sufficient for him to get his sick pay.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

FY Budget 2015: Pills and Potions

Stealing Elections: Lumberton Style

Kim Rogers: A Phenomenal Woman