Working Together


I thought things would be different, but I have come to the conclusion that News 7 is not “On Your Side.” The reporter came to Lumberton with an agenda, and we will have to tune in tonight to see how the interview was edited. WTBS: There is no reason for the city employees to NOT receive their checks. If Mayor Holder does not sign the checks, then the responsibility falls on the shoulders of Mayor Pro Tempore Bobby Gibson and if he won’t sign the checks, then three of the aldermen can get together and sign the checks. But the only thing that’s being reported is the mayor is not signing the checks. But it’s time to put a stop to all of the in-fighting and stop making Lumberton the laughing stock of the state. The aldermen have made it clear that they are not willing to work with the mayor; they have made it clear that they do not value her work, and they made it clear that they do not recognize her as the superintending authority of this city. If I were the mayor, I would let them know that I am signing he checks for this week, and will not sign any future checks until the aldermen sit down and have a real workshop regarding the problems that’s plaguing the City of Lumberton.
But the day was not a complete loss. I had the opportunity to talk with Stephanie Mullings. I told her that I know that I allowed my post to become personal and I told her why. She denied saying the things that fueled the rants on my blog and we have made a decision to conduct ourselves are reasonable, responsible adults; not to react before taking a moment to get the other person’s side of the story. I also told Stephanie about my perception of how things managed to get to this point. From my vantage point, it seems that Stephanie and the board of aldermen were doing any and everything to vilify Mayor Holder, but she said that was not the case. I then told her that she needs to take into account the things we see and acknowledge that there are some serious issues that need to be addressed. I told her that when we sit in the audience and an issue like disbanding the planning and zoning committee is voted on and she don’t utter a word; it looks suspect to those that know the guidelines of Ordinance 187. Everybody knows that Gibson, Crider, Johnson and Hale voted to disband the planning and zoning committee to avoid dealing with the fact that Ben Winston, District 2 Supervisor, had been cited for a violation with the storage of the dilapidated trailers. I told Stephanie that when she didn’t instruct Bobby Gibson and Timothy Johnson that they should recuse themselves from the vote, since their business partner, father in law, and employer was directly involved; I felt that she was teaming up with them to get at the mayor. For instance, for the last few months, Bobby Gibson has recused himself when it came to voting on hiring Willie Sims to review the finances of the city. For the record, Willie Sims does not work for Tabernacle Baptist Church and he is not the accountant that reviews the business records of the church. But Willie Sims was hired some years ago to answer a 501 c question for the church, but that is the limit of their business relationship, unless Willie Sims works for Gibson personally, I don’t see why he’s recusing himself from voting on the matter.
Things have gotten pretty out of hand with the things that go on in this city and with the things that have been said on this blog. But I think it’s long overdue for personal agendas and vendetta to be set aside. I’m willing to move forward; now let’s see if those we elected to serve will follow suit.

Comments

  1. Signing paychecks is not a good place to attempt to make a stand to assert your authority.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How is it that Lumberton made it all those years without a planning and zoning committee, yet the city still had ordinances?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Every four years, a new planning and zoning committee is formed. There has always been a plannign and zoning committee, but they were not active. Over the last 6 years, the planning and zoning committee has been active in developing the Comprehensive Plan and getting a Building/Code Enforcer that actually cite individuals for violations. And at the time the planning and zoning committee was disbaned, they were the only committee orgainzed by this administration that working. To date. . the other committees (airport, recreation, etc. have yet to meet.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ya know, I have resided in Lumberton all my life and my children have been been schooled here. But when it comes to me telling some one where I live I say either Poplarville or Hattiesburg. I am sooo ashame of this town and the people in it. I am in the process of getting my child out of the Lumberton School district. I can't believe the people in this town act like they do and even worse, they have it broadcasted on WDAM all the time. Come on people! All you are doing is for this town is making it the laughing stock of Mississippi. I use to be proud of this town and supported it. But now I am running from it because it's just a shameful place to call home ( for now).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

FY Budget 2015: Pills and Potions

Stealing Elections: Lumberton Style

Kim Rogers: A Phenomenal Woman