Moving Forward...

I guess the blog reached a milestone this week. There were several posts on facebook and it seem like we were actually able to have a civil discourse while stating our views/opinions. Generally, there's a lot of name calling/finger pointing and I wouldn't even have the post completed. But this week there was a paradigm shift and it was a welcomed change. A lot happened this week. I'm not certain if the upcoming election renewed the interest in city politics or the big kerfuffle that occured with the oversized tanker getting stuck someone along Main and 7th Street. The timing of this incident could not have come at a better time. The day after three aldermen refused to attend a special called meeting to implement a plan in case an incident (hazardous and otherwise) happened within the city limits of Lumberton. There were three special called meetings scheduled and Bobby Gibson, Kent Crider and Timothy Johnson all failed to attend. Now in their defense, they allegedly reported that they would have attended but they were under the impression that the meeting was scheduled for 6:30 p.m and not 6:00 p.m. I could see that being a valid mistake in regards to the first missed meeting, but the waters become a bit muddy when the same excuse (mistake..whatever your point of view may be) is used repeatedly. Needless to say, the plan was not implemented and one of the issues that would have been addressed by the plan, happened a day after the aldermen stated they could not attend the meeting on Wednesday night either. I know we are taking the high road, but I did make the pun that the tanker was moving slower than an alderman. Sorry, I couldn't resist. I had requested the telephone numbers for the aldermen, it's strange that elected officals do not have telephone numbers where they can be reached by the general public. Time and time again, Mayor Miriam Holder has given out her home number as well as her cell phone number. As a matter of fact, I even have Alderman Jay McGrew' s telephone number and I'm not a resident in is bailiwick ( I just love using that word). Needless to say, it was like pulling teeth to get the telephone numbers for Crider, Johnson and Gibson. Thanfully, several citizens inboxed me their cellphone numbers. At one point, I was going to post the numbers and have the citizens call them, but I felt it was a moot point. They haven't responded to the pleas of those they represent for the last four years, what made me think they would respond during the next two months prior to election. Oh yeah, election, they probably would pretend to be concerned just for this brief moment. Anything to get a vote. Well, I nixed the idea of posting their numbers. If they're not committed to the City of Lumberton by now, they will never be committed. As I was saying, the level of engagement has been rather impressive. I think we're moving in a positive direction. Henry Ford said it best when he said "if everyone is moving forward together, then success takes care of itself." I will be doing some updates on some other things. There has been some requests to blog about the fire department and the police department. I'm not certain where this interest in the fire department is coming from, but I will post about the fire department; after the election. Also, I have been getting calls and having conversations about certain members of our police department. Now, I'm not about to go into a spiel about the Lumberton Police Department. There are some things about the department I don't like. As a matter of fact, there are some officers that I'm not very fond of. Okay, that's a mischaracterization; there's one officer I'm not fond of but that's not something I need to discuss on the blog. Overall, I'm very pleased with the LPD as well as the LVFD. Can they do better, yes. But in regards to the LPD, I don't think the board has given our police officers the tools or resources needed to perform their jobs as efficiently as possible. I still can't believe that after four years, the board has not attempted to purchase 1-2 new partol cars. Unfortunately, it's very obvious when the board does not like the person serving as Chief of Police. When Hobson was in office, they gave him carte blanche. Now it seems that they are trying to micromanage the department into the ground. As I said, I am pleased with the LPD, but I would like some consistency. I know they can't be everywhere at all times and the street dwellers are more familar with the police department pattern that anyone else. But if a sign says no loitering and an officer pass by a gang of individuals standing in reading distance of the no loitering sign, that is a problem. Again, I don't think the police department are given the tools needed to do their jobs effectively but such as you have. I think people are tired of Lumberton being left behind. It seems that people are becoming more involved and frienship, church affiliation and other non-factors may not be the guiding force behind the upcoming election. It seem like the people of Lumberton are ready for true leadership and are looking for electing officials that are willing to roll up their sleeves and get down to the business of uniting this city. I am refraining from blogging about the other political candidates because I don't want others to have ill feelings toward me if and when we have to serve together. I have not problem with saying it like I mean it and not take it personal but others may not possess those traits. However, I will be posting about those running for the position of mayor. I hope you all have a wonderful weekend. Please go out and support the Lumberton Panthers Baseball team as they enter Round 1 of the Playoffs. Be safe and remember to govern yourselves accordingly.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FY Budget 2015: Pills and Potions

Stealing Elections: Lumberton Style