City of Lumberton Cracking Down on (Butt) Crack

The public hearing to discuss the need for ordinances regarding the implentation of a noise ordidance and other matters is rapidly approaching. I have been thinking about the hearing and I'm trying to wrap my brain around the need for such ordinances. But since I'm from a different school of thinking, I sort of understand the need for such an ordinance. I am a true believer in self-expression, but when your method of expession impedes on others, then it becomes a problem. I have always said that the wearing of saggy pants is a parental issue, but if the matter is not addressed while the child is under the age of 18, then it's obvious that the parental influence was not enough to deter the behavior. I think a lot of this "wilding" out is due to the lack of male figures within some of these families. When you're in a society where it's normal to see a mother fighting along side their children, you know there's something wrong. Now, all of this behavior cannot rest on the fact that there are no male figures. I have said this before, when my parents divorced, it seems that my father divorced his parental obligations as well. Thankfully, I had uncles that were there to teach me things that I needed to know. Not all fathers are father figures. Unfortunatlely, a lot of the "saggy jean" generation don't have uncles or other male figures in their familes that are able to show them a positive male figure because you have people that were wearing certain types of clothing when they first came out and now they are "team throwback". If you're old enough to remember when they first came onto the market, it's not a throwback, it's a throw up because you are regurgitating a style that was already popular during your youth. I'm trying to look at it from both angles and the more I reflect on this matter, the more I realize that there is possibly a need for something to try and help deter some of the behavoir that is running rampant in certain areas. In my opinion, a person that is willing to show the ass, i.e. by wearing sagging pants, is more than likely to show their ass in other ways. Just the other day, a friend stated that her son was looking like a clow. Personally, I didn't think anything was wrong with what her son was wearing; his clothes fit and he didn't appear to have his pants hanging exceptionally low. Now, what's clownish is when you see people that can barely walk because their pants are hanging way too low, they are trying to talk on the cell phone, eat a burger or something, carry a paper plate (which is going to end up on the ground) while intermittingly, holding their pants up with the other hand (depsite having a belt on). Don't get me wrong, I think the City of Lumberton needs to pursue business opportunites as agressively as they are pursing more uninforced ordinances to add to the books. From the standpoint of the police department, I think this will help deter some of the erratic behavior that tend to go unchecked during the summer months. The board meeting is also about obtaining funding for some disaster relief program, but overall, I'm interested to see if those that ascribe to the saggy pants philosophy will show up to voice their concerns about the potential new ordinance. I'm not sure if the new ordinance will deter any disruptive behavior but it will give the police department more options to stop loitering (something they seem reluctant to do) and it will help identify those on the banned listed for certain properties. As I have stated time and time again, people don't know what you do inside the four walls of your dwelling, but when you literally bring your business to the street; dont' be shocked when the streets are talking. I don't know what's up with this " I gotta be seen" mentality. Everyone wants their 15 minutes of fame. But take a note from Frank Lucas, it's not always good to be noticed. You may not be wearing a full length chinchilla fur coat with matching hat to the Frazier fight, but the way you carry yourself is the message you're conveying to the world. So, weather you're spouting a particualar doggerel, or showing your ass (literally and figuratively) or any other attention seeking activities; you're being heard but contrary to what you may think, other's don't like what you're saying or conveying. You are a voice in this world and you deserve to be heard. Let's see if those that make their daily pilgrimages to certain corners day after day will make their way to city hall on Tuesday.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FY Budget 2015: Pills and Potions

Stealing Elections: Lumberton Style