Happy Confederate Memorial Day (talk about your oxymoron)

I'm kinda confused about this "holiday". I'm certain that it's not proper to say Happy Confederate memorial day since memorial days are days set aside to commemorate the lives of those who fought for something they believed in; and for the Southern States, the confederate soilders were fighting for the right to keep slaves. Now, this event was a celebration started by some Southern women and somehow, it has become a paid holiday in all Southern states. So, you mean to tell me that state offices, such as the library, driver's license offices, etc. don't get a paid day off, in Southern states for Good Friday ( a day set aside as the prelude to the celebration of the resurrection of my Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ) but these Southern states have a paid day off to commemorate the lives of indivuals like Nathan Forrest. Interesting. So, across the Great State of Mississippi, state offices are closed for to commemorate the lives of those that vailiantly fought to keep slaves. Yes, the Confederacy is part of our history, and I’m sure I have school friends and know people who had their ancestors fight in the Civil War for the Confederate States of America. There are some that will arugue why would I have a problem with people celebrating/commemorating "white pride" when there are such phrases like "Black is beautiful", "My president is Black" and "Black pride". Well, these phrases didn't spring forth as a way of belittling another race or to be racist. In my experience, “White Pride” has been something stated by racist Americans. I have heard it stated time and time again, just because the Confederacy is part of our history doesn’t mean we have to celebrate it. That would be like America celebrating Nathan Bedford Forrest or Germany celebrating Adolf Hitler. When I was studying for my Master's, my Southern Literature professor was going on this tirade about how black units fought for the Confederacy as well. She even provided me with a book with pictures to support her theory, but I still refuse to belive they willingly fought to remain enslaved. One day I shall read the book she gave me, but for now, I remain firm on my position. I’ll be the first to say that my state has multiple things to work on-budget, education, poverty, and the like, so it may seem futile to bring up the issue of today’s holiday. But I think Mississippi politicians should know that this holiday still doesn’t sit well with all residents and natives. Please share you views on this subject, I would love to know why so many "Southerners" are holding on to what I consider a heritage of hate.The Confederacy should not be forgotten, but it definitely should not be glorified.

Comments

  1. For most... I should say, all the individuals that I know who are proud of their "southern heritage" are in no way celebrating racism or supporting slavery. They are celebrating freedom from federal government, a simpler way of life and those who went through rough times that have passed before us. Most white southerners today tend to treat racists individuals (black or white) with a cold shoulder and in no way embrace them.
    I have traced my ancestry and found that a major number of my "white" ancestors were slaves in North Carolina. As many research their genealogy, they are finding that many of their "white" ancestors were slaves at one time or another. I am only speaking the truth; I am looking to bridge the racial gap we still experience in he U.S. today, in Lumberton specifically.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

FY Budget 2015: Pills and Potions

Stealing Elections: Lumberton Style

Kim Rogers: A Phenomenal Woman