Public Hearing...Tuesday, April 23, 2013

In case you didn't know, the Mayor and Board of Aldermen will be holding a hearing to discuss some ordinances they are getting ready to vote on. The hearing will be held Tuesday, April 23, 2013 at 6:00 p.m. at Lumberton City Hall. This is a public hearing and the board would like to hear from the citizens before voting on an ordinace about the number of dogs a person could own, a noise ordinance and a saggy jeans/pants/shorts ordinance. I'm not directly affected by these ordinances but I am interested to see if the saggy pants generation will come out in opposition to this ordinance. If there's a fight, they show up in drove but they consider those moments entertaining. Little do they know, they're about to get KO'ed by the City of Lumberton. I'm not sure of the fine for the sagging pants, but I was told that those that violate the noise ordiance, will be fined $500.00. (Now that's a lick!) These ordiances are errily similar to ones passed in Marion County. The board is looking for another source of revenue and your exposed undies and loud music are going to be their ticket they need. It would behove them to get and use a belt and maybe invest in a set of Beats by Dre; it will be a whole lot cheaper than serving as the community DJ. I'm still on the fence with the sagging pants ordinance, but I am from a generation that knows the history of the sag. I still think this a parental issue, but if the ones affected don't come out and speak against the ordinance, I'm definately not going to speak on their behalf. I will attend the meeting and I will post about the attendance or lack thereof.

Comments

  1. I think it is about time. If moms and dads can't raise their kids to have the respect not to go around showing their underwear then someone needs to do something. And I thought that this would be considered indecent exposure anyway. I consider it indecent exposure! LOL I definitely do not want to see someone's underwear when I have to stand behind them in the checkout line at the local grocery store! Pull your pants up and have some self respect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I had known about this meeting. How will this apply to homeowners that have had 4 dogs for years (3 inside, 1 outside)? Are we going to be forced to part with our beloved companions or will we be grandfathered in?

    In addition to my personal companions, I have taken in several dogs that were abandoned by a former home dweller when their house was foreclosed on (after his dogs ran the streets and lived out of garbage cans for 2 years), and dogs running the street without any "real owner". ALL of my 4-legged occupants are rescues. I am not fully equipped or have interest in keeping all of the dogs I have saved, but am working diligently with the Hub City Humane Society to find homes. While they are in my care, I have spayed/neutered all dogs, obtained rabies shots, pay for monthly flea protection pills and heart worm treatments (which are both expensive). Yes, I have too many dogs, and not able, interested in, nor planned to have extra occupants. But I'm temporarily fostering since others have dropped the ball. I've even had bleeding and starved dogs stroll up on my porch! It is not my preference to be inundated. However, am I, as a Christian, supposed to turn my back on God's creatures in need? Absolutely not. Fortunately, the HCHS has found homes for 2 dogs since they opened. I am high on the list for when they get openings to take more. Until then, I will continue to take care of the loveable creatures I already have until loving homes are found for them. They've been neglected in the past and me rescuing them is only a stepping stone to their forever homes. I will be checking with my Alderman to see what has already transpired with this proposed ordinance and obtain details.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ordinances were tabled and will be voted on after the election. There will be another public hearing before a vote is taken.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

FY Budget 2015: Pills and Potions

Stealing Elections: Lumberton Style

Kim Rogers: A Phenomenal Woman