Calling a Thing a Thing

Yesterday, I posted on the Lumberton Informer facebook page about the fact that our aldermen failed to attend a third called meeting. I discussed how Kent Crider and Bobby Gibson did not attend the meeting. Since there was no quorum, the board could not vote on the Hazard Waste Plan; without approval, if there is any sort of hazardous accident/emergency with Lumberton's city limits, we would not have approval for the funding to bring in emergency personnel. I just don't understand how individuals that are seeking re-election, would fail to attend a special called board meeting, three times in a row. They have served four years. Correction, they have sat as members of the board for four years because they have not served anyone other than their own self-interest. They are fully aware that without a quorum, the meeting could not be held. I was looking over the agenda and I was trying to determine what issue or issues they're trying to avoid. Are they avoiding the audit, are they refusing to hire another deputy clerk, or are they trying to derail the Lumberton HeadStart annual Trike Bike event. I cannot figure out what they're trying to avoid and since they won't attend the meetings, I cannot ask them what they're avoiding. In case you noticed, I didn't mention Timothy Johnson, but he did not attend either. I chose not to focus on Johnson because the best decision he made in his political career was not to seek re-election. He knew he was double-tongued and did not serve his community well. At least he had the wherewithal to not run again. I guess that's sort of a compliment or not. Anywho, when I posted about Crider and Gibson's failure to attend the meeting, I stated how the politics of Lumberton works. They have a horrible track record; yet they had enough people to sign their petition so they could seek re-election. Were these people asleep during the last four years or what. But in the world of Lumberton politics, it does not matter if you care about this city or not; it's based on friendships, church affilations and hidden agenda. I also stated that I am certain that Crider and Gibson will get votes in the upcoming election. Not because they are good candidates for the city, but because people are voting based on factors that do not take into consideration the progression of our city. The facebook post got a lot of feedback. I may use facebook for my post from now on because there was a lot more interaction. One of the things that kept coming up during the dialogue was the need to remain positive. I think people confuse positive thinking with faith. For instance, I used the picture above for a reason. No matter how much you dress it up; it's still a crapper. There's all this talk of we need to remain positve and that's all good and well, but we also must call a thing a thing. The people of Lumberton seem to be set in their ways and if it does not benefit them, they are not interested. A good example, the other week, there was this long dialogue about how rude and unprofessional the new city clerk was. I have interacted with her on several occassions and she is anything but rude. But I don't think it was the fact that she was rude, it's the fact that there are certain people that don't like the fact that Stephanie C. Mullings and Susan Guidry has been terminated and people will find fault in anyone replacing them. Merlene Wall implemented a new policy about not taking water bill payments after 3:00 p.m. Now keep in mind, water bills can be placed in the drop box at any time. But there were those that were up in arms about why this and if you can't do your job, blah, blah, blah. Well, I think it's a great policy. When Stephanie and Sue were in the clerk's office, we could pay our bills all day long, but it also took 3-4 weeks for your check to clerk. Let me own this statement because other's might not have had that same experience. So, it would take my checks 3-4 weeks to clear after paying my water bill. But now that Merlene has implemented this new policy, I pay my water bill and the check clears the next day. In other words, she's regularly depositing the payments made to city hall, but there are those that have a problem with that. In addition to the issue of remaining positive, there was one reader that encourage us to get involved and stop placing all hope on a new administration to demand change. We are two months away from a new election and citizen participation is at an all time low. The aldermen were not at the meeting, but there were not many citizens in attendance either. Also, I found it disheartening that those seeking election were not at the meeting either. There are those that have worked to put their names on the ballots but have never attended a board meeting. Everything this board does will impact the new board directly and those seeking election should be at every meeting so they can have an understanding of what's at stake. Also, there was supposed to be a public hearing about implementing a noise ordinance, indecency law, and pet regulations. I was on the fence regarding the indecency law, but after attending the meeting and seeing that the people that will be directly affected by the law was not concerened, then why should I be concerned. I read over the ordinance and it seems fair. My only concern is enforcement of the laws. We have laws upon laws on the books but if they're not going to be enforced, then what's the point. For instance, the Lumberton Police Department told the management of Frank Lee Homes that they couldn't do anything about the large groups that congregate at the entrace of the property without a No Loitering sign. Well, the signs were erected and police will drive pass those standing there without saying a word. (Please note: This is not always the case; there are some officers that will clear the corner. Kudos!) As I stated, don't pass another law if it's going to just gather dust in the books. Also, I love the fact that one of the penalties is community service hours. In an attempt to get the agenda items approved, there will be another Special Called Board Meeting on today (Wednesday, April 24, 2013). Hopefully, enough aldermen will attend so the city can take care of some much needed business. Update on the meeting will be posted on facebook. Good day and please, govern yourselves accordingly.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FY Budget 2015: Pills and Potions

Stealing Elections: Lumberton Style

Kim Rogers: A Phenomenal Woman