LVFD: Revamped?

Jerry Walters, LVFD Chief wanted to know why I said the Lumberton Volunteer Fire Department needed revamping. Well, I'm glad you asked. Maybe revamping was not the correct word to use. The LVFD needs to be restructured. If this is truly a volunteer fire department, then the LVFD needs to be operated in the same manner as other fire departments in the surrounding counties. I know there are some that say $1,000/per month is not a lot of money to pay for the professional services of the LVFD. Looking at it on a monthly basis, it may not be a lot of money, but over the course of four years, $1,000/per month becomes $48,000. That's a lot of money; especially when the City of Lumberton has no indication of how this money is being spent. Walters is quick to quote what is acceptable and permitted in the guidelines of the fire support group, but I feel if the city if paying this money, in addition to maintenance of the equipment, payment of electric bills, water bills, telephone bills, and insurance; we should know how the $48,000 is being allocated. Walters is quick to say that no one is getting paid. So the question remains, what was the $48,000 used for? I am certain that being a volunteer fireman/woman is a thankless job. No one wants to perform the duties, but everyone has an opinion on how things should be done. If you think things are not being run properly, then throw your hat in the ring and become a part of the team. I can see that Walters has taken the negative comment that was made on the blog and used it to garner support. I don't think Kent Crider is out to get anyone. I have spoken to Crider and from what he's told me, he is looking to move this city forward and not concerned about past misgiving. I can only take a person for their word and I will hold Crider accountable to the promise he made. Now let me make this clear, I'm not holding Crider accountable to me, I'm holding Crider and all the other elected officials accountable to the City of Lumberton. There's all this talk about "New Beginnings" and I am going to see how this pan out. Unlike others, I don't need my favorite players in the game to cheer for the team. Regardless of what others may say or think, I'm team Lumberton. I'm going to call a thing a thing and it really does not bother me if you're offended. I think Jerry is a nice individual, but I think it's time for new leadership. A chief that constantly says that "black people turn down applications because they're not going to work for free" is one that is trying to categorize an entire segment of the community through stereotype. Also, his defense for repeating that statement over and over again was "that's what they said". I don't know how one would think they would ever garner any support from individuals from a community that is labeled as lazy. Walters proclaim that the job does not pay anything, but as I stated earlier, over the course of four years, $48,000 in checks has been cashed by the Lumberton Fire Support Group. Again, what was this money spent on. Crider questioned the allocation of the funds prior to the election, but many say his request for accountability as politically motivated. Well, the election is over. Can we ask again, what was the $48,000 spent on? I saw the fire contract, and I think it is very one sided and not very beneficial for the city. There are those that say they love what they do and I don't doubt their love for service. However, when a group of individuals say that this person or that person is the "only" person that had done a good job or is the "only" person that is capable of leading the fire department; then I begin to question their loyalty. Are they serving on the LVFD to serve the City of Lumberton or the serve Jerry Walters? Because if they are saying they cannot serve as LVFD unless Walters is the captain of the ship, then their dedication is not towards the City of Lumberton. For those reasons, I think the LVFD needs to be either revamped or restructured. Also, the monthly payments to a support group needs to cease. Anything purchased by the LVFD needs to be done through a purchase order. I would love to volunteer to be part of an inclusive, accountable volunteer fire department. So, I will put my money where my mouth is. There are a number of nurses and other professionals in the city that could help the LVFD in some capacity, but I don't think they are given the opportunity to do so. I don't know what the city is planning on doing when the new board comes into office, but I certainly hope that whatever changes are made in the LVFD, the citizens of Lumberton support the department, regardless of who is at the helm of the ship (or fire truck.)

Comments

  1. Very informative!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mayor Miriam R. HolderJune 27, 2013 at 6:13 PM

    Very informative!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mayor Holder,

    You should know that this article is very informative. Even though Mr. Griffith seems to think the contract is very one sided, you signed the past two with me with no problem.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

FY Budget 2015: Pills and Potions

Stealing Elections: Lumberton Style

Kim Rogers: A Phenomenal Woman