What The Candidates Said...In Their Own Words

One more day and the residents of Lumberton will head to the polls to choose the candidates that will represent their city for the next four years. As I have said time and time again, we're either gonna stay chained to the past or we're going to move boldly into the future. Several candidates were featured in the Hattiesburg American. For some reason, Alderman Kent Crider (Ward 1) and Alderman at Large Bobby Gibson did not respond to the questionnaires. Mayor Miriam Holder said you should vote for her because: Projects are forthcoming and do not need to be altered. With my experience, I know how to get the projects completed. Current projects include a 2013 CDBG Public Facilities Grant, a $400,000 water/sewer grant for the Love Addition, a 2013 FAA-AIP Project, a camera study of the sewer mains at Lumberton schools, a 2013 Small Municipalities and Limited Population grant and to implement the reinstated Planning and Zoning Committee to help accommodate the growth that is going to take place in Lumberton. I do care for Lumberton and believe in Lumberton. Ben Winston said you should vote for him because: I want what you want and what is best for our community. I hear the cry for jobs, open and honest government and accountability. I care about and will respond to neighborhood concerns and issues. I’m qualified, have the means, tools, ability, connections and heart to move Lumberton forward. I’m not afraid to step outside the box to pursue help. As mayor, I’ll bring solutions, not the problems, to the table. I’ll work diligently, watch and pray fervently, and network tirelessly to see that our town is the head and not the tail. Cora Rogers, Candidate for Alderwoman at Large said you should vote for her because: I am a strong community leader in Lumberton, having knowledge of business development, ownership and sustainability. As previously stated, successful partnerships with government agencies, management of grant monies and community outreach illustrate my integrity and willingness for unity and change. I am a graduate of William Carey College, and am a successful business owner and grant recipient in Lumberton for the past 15 years. I partnered with the Department of Human Services on a three-year, $750,000 grant, providing a year-round youth program. I lead the process of establishing Lumberton and Sumrall as smoke-free cities under a grant from the Mississippi State Department of Health Office of Tobacco Control. Lea Ann Jones Ulmer, Candidate for Alderwoman at Large said you should vote for her because: I will work to make Lumberton a place where we can all be proud to live. Today, many people say they are ashamed to say they are from Lumberton because of the way things are going. Google Lumberton and see what comes up. Lumberton was once a great place to live and raise a family, and with the right leadership, it can be again. Tina Holder, Candidate for Alderwoman of Ward 1 said the following: You should vote for me because I’m a visionary. I see the great potential this city has, and I have a great desire to move the city toward that potential. Jerry Walters, Candidate for Alderman of Ward 1 said the following: I think the main reason you should vote for me is because I’m not a politician. I’m just a concerned citizen like you are, and I have had enough of watching my city slowly die and not being in a position to do anything. I make no promises. I will never insult your intelligence by making you a promise that I’m not 100 percent sure I can keep. Alderman Hugh Jay McGraw of Ward 2 is unopposed in the upcoming election. Quincy Rogers, Alderman of Ward 3 said the following: Because of my experience. I’ve been in office for two terms. My voting record proves my devotion not only to the citizens of Ward 3, but to all citizens. It proves my devotion to this city and the love I have for it. My dedication to this city is endless. Jonathan Griffith, Candidate for Alderman of Ward 3 asked citizens to vote for him for the following reasons: One of the top issues is the need to rebuild the citizens’ trust in those elected to serve. Lumberton cannot afford another four years of division. Too many see our elected officials as tired, bureaucratic, uninspired and unresponsive. Once we have the trust of those we represent we can address the C.O.R.E. (Crime, Opportunities for Employment, Recreational Activities for our Youth and Economic Development) issues. The time for new leadership is not only well overdue, but it’s bursting at the seams. It’s time for Lumberton to move forward in a positive direction. My commitment to the residents of Ward 3 is to follow my heart, offer a new kind of leadership where elected officials are public servants and business growth is about the bottom line as well as the quality of life and where enriching the lives of the next generation is the best investment we can make for Lumberton. I believe in Lumberton and I’m convinced Lumberton has the opportunity to be great. Tommy Dukes will serve as Alderman of Ward 4 since he was unopposed in this election.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FY Budget 2015: Pills and Potions

Stealing Elections: Lumberton Style

Kim Rogers: A Phenomenal Woman