Saltines and Sardines

Yesterday, the Lumberton Informer face book page was blowing up. I'm thinking of transitioning the entire blog to the face book page, but I keep the traditional blog open because some people don't like using face book. I found out some things about what happened at City Hall earlier that day and I posted a brief summary of the events and things went haywire from that post. One of the readers of the blog said "Saltines are coming out of the woodworks" and the heated conversations ensued from there. One person took the liberties of posting about the post in a closed group. She claimed that she could not post her response on the Informer page, but the fact that she could see the comment, meant she could post a response. She posted the response on another page because she wanted a reaction from the Confederate sympathizers. That page is filled with so much hate and bias that it makes me look like a church boy. But again, it's only hateful when I post the information, on other pages, it considered freedom of speech. I was going to post about her and the Walter's Klan (pun intended) but I will save it for another day. I have bigger and better fish to fry at this moment. So while I have your attention, let me address a few things. For the record, I don't have anything against Quincy Rogers. For the most part, he's a good alderman. I can truthfully say that I was only at odd with him on one decision. I can't hold him hostage to one decision. However, I'm reminded of that bad decision every month, but that's neither here nor there. The people have spoken and that's who they want to represent them so why would I waste my time and the city's money by contesting the election results because my name was misspelled on the ballot. That's not going to change the outcome. If I couldn't garner enough votes in the first round, why would I but a bigger financial burden on a financially strapped city. I will be supportive of Rogers, as I have always been. I let some people talk me into running for office and as reflected in the votes, those people didn't bother to come out and support me. And you may be wondering, how I would know. Well, if you would take a look at the picture attached to this post, that is a picture of the signature log used record the names of those who voted. As a candidate, we have access to that information and I received my copy yesterday and I was shocked, not really, to see that the names of those I counted on were not listed. Oh well, you live and you learn. I have always marched to the beat of a different drummer and I have always known that I am not liked by many within my community. Unfortunately, I have it in writing. Some asked me why did I want the list and I said it was for my own edification. I get a lot of calls for assistance in different areas and I need to know who I'm dealing with. People call me asking to borrow money for rent, to help with an eviction notice, homework, etc. and I need to know who's in my corner. The list does not tell me who voted for me, it just let me know who voted. It is what it is. But at least I know, going forward. Now, don't think that's going to deter me from blogging. Unlike others that my live in my community, I don't thrive on seeing people fighting in the streets like rabid dogs. I paid a lot of money for room-darkening, noise cancelling curtains because I don't want to hear people that don't live there yelling in the streets. I'm not a trash collector, so I don't find pleasure in picking up trash from mentally inept individuals that don't seem to know how to take a lid off a trash can. If you don't bother me, I won't bother you. But if you bring it to my front door, I'm going to address it. Yesterday, I learned that Ben Winston, allegedly, made promises to get rid of Chief Cowart, Merlene Walls, and Betty Speights in order to bring Mullings, Hobson and Guidry back to city hall. I hope it's not true but it seems that one of his political promises was to do so. I will post more about this matter in a later post. One of my friends said that I am known to rock the boat and I must concur. As he said, it's easier to label a person a trouble maker than to deal with the trouble. Catch that dirt.

Comments

  1. Jon,

    I am writing you in regards to a post you read from one of the "Walters Klan". It is just this type of crap that keeps Lumberton divided. I haven't went and read what she wrote yet, but atleast respect me enough to not judge me based on what one of my family members say. I had no problem with the election or it's results. As a matter of fact, it was a relief to lose because that keeps me freed up enough to concentrate on the fire department. I don't need anybody speaking for me. I don't talk about you to anybody. I haven't complained about you or the election to anybody. All I did was make the remark that those who didn't get out and vote got exactly what they wanted. I thought you and I had a mutual respect for one another. I don't personally have any thing against anybody. So why does all this "Saltines" talk start up again. It's funny that no one calls me to ask me if I said something. I had to read it on facebook. BTW, if you still need Ben Winstons number, I have it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There so much division in this city and it is not just between blacks and whites. It is just as bad among blacks and among whites. This craziness between Ben Winston and Cora Rogers illustrates that. I don't think any of the candidates were or are going to be able to bring about progress because of long-term grudges, crooked business practices and sometimes just plain incompetence. The worst mistake the new aldermen could make is to put the people back in city hall that they finally got rid of. Just the idea of it is so ridiculous. And just because Bobby didn't get voted back doesn't mean he won't have a hand in everything...UGH!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you 100%

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

FY Budget 2015: Pills and Potions

Stealing Elections: Lumberton Style

Kim Rogers: A Phenomenal Woman