Hear Ye! Hear Ye!

Last night I attended municipal court for the first time since the City of Lumberton hired the new judge. Judge Pittman is a refreshing difference from the previous municipal judge. He came into the court room and went into his chambers (also the executive meeting room for the board of aldermen) and he came out with a robe on. The judge was announced by a police officer. While waiting for the judge to take his seat on the bench, I thought to myself, this feels like a real court. The level of professionalism that is on display is remarkable. Everyone from the court clerk, Betty Speights to the judge was on point. All the police officers were there and they were in their uniforms and waiting to testify in their court cases. I'm not one that's easily impressed, but this was a moment I was impressed by those representing the City of Lumberton. Also, I got an opportunity to see another side of our police department. The officers are as different as the community they serve and protect. There are some that are very friendly, there are some that a very stern and then there are those that have the I'm going to save the community mindset and there is some that are strictly by the book. But I must say, every officer I had an interaction with is fair. I'm sure that every officer is aware of the former police officers that were patrolling the streets of Lumberton but there comes a time when enough is enough. Yes there have been a slew of "bad" officers patrolling our streets and sadly, most of those officers were on the payroll during the "Reign of Hobson." Now, there are some that thought I was asking for Hobson to be returned as Chief. Well, that's not true, but I have to realize that sarcasm does not translate well in the written format. Nothing could be further from the truth. But I will say this; it's time for the current officers to just do their jobs. I know they understand the fact that other officers abused their powers, but we just want you to do your jobs. Those miscreants that a fighting in the streets and disturbing others are not victims, their victimizers. Let's be real. The reason the people come to Frank Lee Homes to fight is to get street creed. They know there's will always be an audience. So, for the officers that love to give a "second chance" trust me, they have had more than enough chances. It's just a cycle repeating itself. A few years ago, people used to meet in Wellstown to fight. Yes. They would pre-meditate their fights and if you didn't have a ride to go see the fight, you could purchase a DVD copy of the fight. Now don't make me think I'm the only one that purchased those videos. I know I'm not the only one that seen Lumberton Crack heads Gone Wild Part 1, 2 and 3. As a matter of fact, I still have a copy of several of those fight tapes. WTBS. I must say I love the way the Lumberton Police Department is upping their game. We have the ability to have an excellent force and the steps they are taking are needed; especially during the summer months. Trust and believe. If they start taking these groups to jail, hitting them in their pockets, I'm sure these so called paper chasers will sat down. Because one thing for certain, if they go before Judge Pittman, they're going to pay. For instance, last night, a young man pleaded guilty for marijuana possession. His fine was $1,250. He didn't have a penny in his pocket. The judge told him that he had 30 minutes to call any friends or family that doesn’t want him to go to jail. Judge Pittman said if you don't pay a large portion of this judgment, Lamar County Jail will have a bed for you tonight. Now that's what I'm talking about, but the police officers must get them before the judge before he can do his thing. Kudos to the Lumberton municiple court system and our officers. Keep up the good work.

Comments

  1. Is this the same judge?

    http://caselaw.findlaw.com/ms-supreme-court/1117479.html

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

FY Budget 2015: Pills and Potions

Stealing Elections: Lumberton Style

Kim Rogers: A Phenomenal Woman