Review of June 14, 2013 Special Called Meeting

Mayor Miriam R. Holder officiated her final board meeting as an elected official. City clerk, Merlene Wall went over the budget and expenditures report; outlining the triumphs made as she tries to dig the city out of the fiscal ditch we were in. It seems that there were bank statements that were never opened, accounts that were left unreconciled and numerous accounts, including insurance coverage, that was several months delinquent (due to non-payment). Essentially, the board has been voting in the dark; not know where the city stands in regards to their finances. Thankfully, we now have a clerk that is working wonders in getting us from under the fiscal cliff levied upon the citizens of Lumberton. The reports show a remarkable amount of accountability and Merlene has done an outstanding job in the clerk’s office with collection and Betty Speights has also done an excellent job in collecting and logging fine payments as the Court Clerk. Kudos to those now working at city hall. There was also an agenda item where it was noted that threats are being made against those working in the clerk's office. It wasn't clear if the threats were about harming the women or if the threats were some of the zealots boasting that they will be terminated when the new board takes office in July. Whatever the case may be, the people of Lumberton must realize that Merlene did not start this mess. If people are that upset about paying a water bill, it just proves what I was saying, they apparently have not been paying any water bills. There is still a question that has not been addressed. What is Byron's position? I remember when he made the proposal to the city council about taking over the water billing process but it does not seem that the plan he presented has been implemented. Does he still work with the public works department or is he working a new clerk/water czar/water billing advisor/security? I have yet to see him read the meters as he promised and I'm not sure he's still part of the Public Works Department. So, from what account do they pay his salary? Now, I have interacted with Byron on several occasions, but his exact position/duties are still cloudy. Perhaps, I will need Alderwoman-elect Cora Rogers to check into this matter. The meeting went well and there were some other issues discussed but I will blog about that at another time. I had the opportunity to speak with several individuals, including Mayor Elect Ben Winston and Alderman Kent Crider, while at the meeting. I must say, I was surprised that they were so friendly. I must say, prior to last night, I never thought much of either Winston or Crider. My dislike of Crider was based on his political record and I cannot really say I dislike Winston; but I can say that there are some things he has done that I do not approve of and I'm certain that there are things that I have done that he does not approve of. Thankfully, he does possess the maturity to see beyond our differences and try to work them out for the greater good. More pastors should take note. He's obvious knows that flattery will get him everywhere because I was flattered and with one conversation, has made me call a truce and try to look for a better way to blog. After my conversation with Winston, I told him I will be supportive and positive when making my observations of his First 100 days in office. Since Winston was willing to discuss his plans with me, in a frank/honest manner, I suppose I can give him the benefit of the doubt and see what he's going to bring to the table. I have the numbers and there's more people reading this blog that the number of people that voted in Lumberton's recent election. Mayor Holder has established a clean platform for the next administration to build upon. The foundation is set, accountability is in place, fines are getting paid, inactive water bill accounts are being sent to collection, past due accounts are getting terminated, insurance payments are being made and the police department is stepping up their game. I truly think Lumberton is in a position to finally take a step forward instead of two steps back. There are those in Lumberton that need certain people in place for them to support growth. But we all know that should not be the case. If a person is going to propel Lumberton forward, we should all get on board and grab a paddle. After the meeting, Mayor Miriam R. Holder offered her services to the incoming board and mayor. Her level of dignity has inspired me to also become more supportive of the new administration. Although I'm going to be taking a more positive route when posting about the City of Lumberton.; don't think that this will be your opportunity to take this as a moment of weakness. However, I am asking that my "friends" not inbox me about closed mined individuals in the closed groups. I no longer have time for ignorant people and hopefully, they have logged off this blog as they promised. One thing's for certain, there's more than one way to get to Hattiesburg. Just because I don't follow the route you paved does not mean we're not going to arrive at the same destination. Again, just because you say it, does not make it true. I am well aware that 80% of my posts are not false and still waiting for proof showing that my posts are false. But that's neither here nor there; just another effort to distract readers. I have the numbers and I know you are reading; but you all can continue to say otherwise, but would you please stop making references to a blog you don't read. Last week, I posted a private blog post and then I received 645 email addresses so I could send the link and access code to the blog. As I said, people are reading. It is my hope that those branches that were pruned because of a recent post, will stay on the ground, because I really don't want to go through the harrowing process of making the blog private. For now, the Lumberton Informer will remain public and I will be taking a two week break. I have a couple of stories that will be posted in the next week, but other than that, we will gear up for a truly New Beginning on July 1, 2013.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FY Budget 2015: Pills and Potions

Stealing Elections: Lumberton Style

Kim Rogers: A Phenomenal Woman