Fifty Shades of Corruption

It is my hopes that everyone had a safe, enjoyable Labor Day Weekend. As many of you know, there was a situation that took place over the weekend involving one of Lumberton’s finest. I have not looked into this matter to find out about the charges levied against the individual that was allegedly battered while in police custody. At this point it is a waiting game; we will see if the family of the young man is going to pursue this matter or not. I have learned to not include names when posting about these issues because there have been times when people would seek me out to share their experience and then they don’t follow through on their end; leaving me to deal with the repercussions of my writings. I know this is Lumberton and I know there are those that will quickly say, we should support our law enforcement because they have to deal with so much on a day to day basis and I whole heartedly agree. But one wayward officer has the ability to taint an entire department. There are those that are probably tired of my post about my experience with Hobson and Mullings (The Dynamic Crime Duo) but that is my experience and I will continue to share those experiences when I see others are being subjected to the same injustices I endured. Now, don’t get me wrong, I think we have some very good officers on the force and like I said in the blog post, there is more than one side to a story and I have yet to hear the officer’s side. But if an officer abused a handcuffed individual; I think that’s cause for an investigation as well as a suspension. I also stated in the blog post that the report should be filed with the Police Chief, but so many like to bring these matters before the board. But the proper protocol would be to address these issues with the Chief and then if she does not provide due diligence in the matter, then address the board. I know I am somewhat biased when it comes to the police and I have cause to be. There were so called, honest, officers that sat idly by as I was harassed because of a personal vendetta that was initiated by former chief Dennis Hobson and former city clerk, Stephanie Mullings and this harassment was board approved (by Bobby Gibson, Kent Crider and Timothy Johnson.) I know there are some that were silent because they either supported their actions or were in fear for their jobs. However, injustices are allowed to continue because there are those that choose to remain silent. In my opinion, the individuals sitting on the sidelines watching as the rope is being tied for the lynching are just as guilty as those tightening the noose. The intent of this post was not supposed to be about the police department. Instead, I was supposed to be blogging about the fact that I spent my Labor Day weekend reading the auditor’s report. Some people thought Fifty Shades of Grey was a page turner. Well, they need to look at this audit report. There’s theft, mayhem, and intrigue. It is possibly the worst auditor’s report we ever had in the history of Lumberton but it’s also probably the first “true” report we ever received. For some reason, the auditors rely on getting information or confirmation directly from the city clerk. However, the city clerk, as well as the deputy clerks, that were employed during the time the minutes and deposits were supposed to be documented had been terminated. I don’t understand the audit process for city government. I know when I was a property manager and we did not have any contact with the auditors. We were told when they would arrive and they took our ledgers, receipts and other documents and went into one of the other offices in the building. They would review our information and on more than one occasion, my district manager told me to make sure my paperwork was in place because I speak through my ledgers and documentation. One would think, that would be the process with the audit of a city. It seems that municipalities pay thousands upon thousands of dollars for auditors to come in and have a conversation with the city clerk. During the process, there were tons of discrepancies noted. In my opinion, all three clerks were part of a very tangled web of mismanagement and work avoidance. The fact that it has been years since the filing of a Municipal Compliance Questionnaire and the minute books are missing several months of official minutes is a clear sign that something untoward was taking place within the hallowed offices of Lumberton City Hall. I am trying to avoid saying too much because it is my hopes that the elected officials that are being sued by former city clerk Stephanie Mullings would put me on their witness list. Also, the auditors did not provide any opinion with this audit because of the large volume of missing information. Interesting! There are those that tried to vilify former mayor, Miriam R. Holder, but this recent auditor’s report is very telling and the fact that she tried for years to get the board to initiate a system of checks and balances has left the City of Lumberton in dire straits in excess of $165,000. From the look of this report, the City of Lumberton may not see a truly balanced budget until 2015. It just another point I was trying to express, we have individuals that never attended a board meeting before seeking election. Well, they are about to be baptized by fire because they have inherited an oggie mess. For years, the auditor recommended a system of checks and balances but it fell on deaf ears. I hope this is a wakeup call for those currently serving. They will learn that they can be held liable for the votes/actions until the day they die. The telling part is now some of the aldermen that allowed this misappropriation of city funds to go uncheck are now without the benefit of a bond. I’m still interested in know why Rebecca Hale was not listed in the pending lawsuit. Or maybe she was. Also, it has been said time and time again that Crider, Johnson, and Gibson allowed Stephanie to run amuck because she knew where the bodies were buried, so to speak. Well, the maggots are about to turn to files and we shall see what’s about to be unearthed. That’s about all I have to say for now. I need to get my rest before attending tonight’s board meeting.

Comments

  1. Thank you for keeping the public informed. I really think that there needs to be some looking into the connection between Kent Crider and the Newly formed Fire Proof Panthers. It is a department that was formed by Kent Crider at his home with some current members of the Fire Proof Panthers with the express intention of getting rid of the Lumberton Fire Department Support Group. When it was formed it was formed from members of the old department that had been dismissed because of not attending meetings and going on calls. From what I have seen their whole department does not have even half of the certifications that the old department had. Medical calls are going unanswered because none of them were registered first responders. It is funny that the old department had to fight for moneys for send people for training yet the new department can get money when the city is so strapped for cash that is above and beyond the contract that they presented. And last I heard the state fire marshal still had not signed off on the new contract, so how legal is that. All that was done just to oust the old chief and replace him with someone that Kent can get to do whatever he wants him to do. I think that needs to be looked into. Since Kent is the one that started the back door meetings to start the new department. He should not have been allowed to vote on the contacts. Like the police did to you. That is what Kent Crider did the Former Fire Chief Walters. I just hate that we the citizens of Lumberton are the ones that suffer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also the new chief couldn't handle it more than a month.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

FY Budget 2015: Pills and Potions

Stealing Elections: Lumberton Style

Kim Rogers: A Phenomenal Woman