LPD: Riding Dirty?

I was reading a post on facebook about police harassment and how it was a violation of a person’s civil rights and I concur. As the readers of this blog know, I had my run in with the Lumberton Police Department. I truly believe that I was harassed and I feel that I should receive an official apology from the Lumberton Police Department as well as an apology from the City of Lumberton. There will always be claims that police are abusing their power/authority but I am not certain if the recent accusations could be categorized as harassment. Over the past couple of weeks, there has been claims of police abuse (something that is currently under investigation) and harassment. Personally, I think the case for abuse is a strong case, but it still has to be proved in a court of law. So, I am not going to speak on a pending case; that would be something that would need to be addressed either in court or via the investigative process. However, I must say, the allegations that a person was beaten, while handcuffed, seems like an open and closed case but like I always say, there are three sides to every story. Another allegation that is being levied against the Lumberton Police Department is that they are profiling/harassing individuals. Lumberton is a small town. We must realize that this is not the police department of old. You know the ones that would call your parents and tell them you are doing wrong. For the most part, the officers on duty in Lumberton are not looking for a long term job in Lumberton; they’re basically looking for something to put on their resume so they can transfer to another department. That’s not shade, that’s just a reality. WTBS, if you have an expired driver’s license or do not have a driver’s license and the police pull you over; you are now on their radar. Obviously, the next time they see your driving along the streets of Lumberton (probably with your music blaring and rims shining) you automatically are a target. More than likely, you’re going to get stopped on GP (general principle). You may say there are a lot of other people that are driving dirty but the police department has no way of knowing that until they pull them over. This is not Hattiesburg, Gulfport or Jackson. Drivers may be able to cruise the streets of those cities and stay under the radar, but in a small town like Lumberton, it’s a little more difficult to go undetected; especially if you already have been ticketed. If you’re driving dirty, your best bet would be to stay from behind a wheel and walk. Towing is another issue that we are having with the Lumberton Police Department. Generally, this would not be a police issue, but the fact that LPD officers are calling on the local tow guy so rapidly seems to be a problem. I still remember my towing experience. Having to pay $250 for your car to be towed (and let’s not get into the storage fees that are assessed if your car is left overnight---that’s an additional $50-75/per day; depending on the person that was towed). Now, we all know that we are living in tough economic times and to burden a person, in a failing economy; with over inflated prices in addition to whatever charges are going to be assessed by the judge is outlandish. I know the police officers are not in touch with the residents of the City of Lumberton because most of them are imported. But don’t think just because you know the officers, they are going to be any more understanding. For instance, the officer that was on scene when my car was being towed made the statement “just pay the fee” and since they were already looking for something to charge me with, I just held my peace. I still look at this non-certified officer with the side eye. I don’t know why anyone would place that additional burden on anyone but that’s what we experience from those that are supposedly here to “serve and protect.” As a disclaimer, I will say that the person that towed my car did give me a break and did not charge me storage fee. I don’t blame him for the fees; it’s his business and he can charge whatever he chooses and he’s not the one calling the police; they are calling him. As I stated, the days of having friendly officers are long gone. They are not going to let you lock your car or phone a friend to come get your car. They want to establish a reputation and they’re going to do it at your expense. I have not had any problems with this current batch of officers. For the most part, my only complaint about the officers is that they are not patrolling enough. I am more than certain that the police deal with this balancing act every day. There will always be those that say they are being targeted while others will quickly say they are letting certain people get away all the time. I don’t know what can be done about the perceptions but I would like to see the LPD get more officers that are willing to stay on the force and stop using the department as a spring board. It is my hope that our department manage to get some new cars this year and become more active in community relations. I have trust issue with the officers and I know they will stick together. If you have a problem with the no snitch mantra, you should also have a problem with the blue wall. What’s good for the goose is good for the gander. I’m not ready to give the LPD an atta boy but I will be watching to see if they are patrolling regularly. What’s the point of having a “no loitering” sign if the police are going to drive by while you loiter? It’s easy to sit on the sidelines and say this is how this should be done, but it’s different once you’re on the field. I would never understand what it’s like to be a police officer but I will always remember what it’s like to know that an entire department turned their back on integrity just to keep a job and that’s unacceptable. Unfortunately, this department will always have to overcome the bad reputation that was established by Team Hobson. His team of rogue officers was proof that the blue wall was/is a reality and that even good cops will adjust their moral meter in order to stay employed. Even that statement is not true. When the board endorsed Hobson’s renegade tactics, truly honorable officers like Franklin, Fortenberry-Lumpkins, Johnson, and Hosey bucked the status quo and stood for what was right. Hopefully, we would be able to get more officers like those or perhaps we have some officers of that caliber serving on the force. I’m not sure. Our city needs to move forward and we need to move forward together. There is a board meeting tonight, and the board will vote on an ordinance that will help create a more peaceful environment in Lumberton. I whole heartedly support the noise ordinance and I hope it passes. I am also glad that Chief Cowart decided to remove the hearing for the “saggy pants” ordinance. I felt that ordinance could have led to racial profiling and placing an undue burden on parents. Sadly, those that will be the brunt of the ordinances are generally those that didn’t bother to vote. But if any of you that love to play your music at the window shaking volume, may want to attend tonight’s meeting to voice your opposition to the ordinance because you are the ones that will be paying the hefty fines. Or do like you always do, sit back and expect someone else to speak on your behalf.

Comments

  1. I live in wiggins and we have made it a crime fot the "saggypants' , best law made by locals. I don't want or let my kids see your damn underwear. that is just stupid how they wear the saggy pants and also a health issue. so that is not profiling.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

FY Budget 2015: Pills and Potions

Stealing Elections: Lumberton Style

Kim Rogers: A Phenomenal Woman