Smoke and Ashes

The other week, I learned the contract for the Lumberton Fire Proof Panthers was denied by the State. I’m not certain what this means or if this will result in a lack of fire protection for the City of Lumberton. However, it seems that we are back to square one. I don’t know what it is about Lumberton and their fire department, but it seems that there’s an issue with sharing the responsibilities in that department; regardless of who’s in the lead truck during the homecoming parade. There seems to be an all or nothing attitude in the department. Also, whenever a new group arrives, the old group is left out in the cold. This happened when Walter’s became chief and it’s seemingly happening again with the new department. I didn’t understand it when Walter’s took over and Chief Grant and his supporters were put out in the cold and I don’t understand it now when Walter’s is allegedly being denied participation by the new department. One would think that experience matters and any department personnel would love to have someone on staff that is familiar with the regulations and guidelines. Also, there was a report that the new fire chief has resigned. I haven’t been able to get anyone to confirm that information but I will let you know once I get more details. In other news, Mayor Winston lauded the volunteer efforts of those taking care of the grass at area parks and the median on Main Street. This volunteer effort should have given our grass crew some additional time to focus on other areas that require mowing. Well, one would that would be the case. First of all, those in the WSOM department that are actually working are generally overworked and underpaid. Unfortunately, there are those that are not only riding the lawn mowers, they are riding the clock. Last week, I went to the Love Addition Cemetery to inspect a headstone that was delivered. Well, upon my arrival, I noticed the grass had not been cut in quite some time. The grass was actually knee high. Since I am short, it may not be that high for an average height individual, but for dramatic purposes and based on my personal observation, the grass was knee high. Immediately, I thought to myself, someone is not doing their job. Then I remembered that the normal entrance is closed due to construction but the other entrance is clear and open. So, is that area not of importance to Public Works Director Ryan Easley? Just the other month, he was upset that the board wanted him to log the areas where his employees worked. I wonder if anyone logged any hours at the Love Addition Cemetery. Since I am always accused of being biased, I decided to leave that cemetery and go see what was the condition of the cemetery that was located across from Lumberton High School or next to Wood Hinton Park; whichever landmark would give you a better understanding of the one I’m talking about. Well, to my surprise; actually I wasn’t very surprised, the cemetery was neatly mowed. Imagine that. Now, would anyone like to explain to me why one cemetery was kept in a presentable manner and the other one has been neglected. Or maybe I’m missing something, was the volunteer effort also extended to the local cemeteries and the one next to Dr. Vann’s office was actually the work of volunteers and not city employees? Inquiring minds want to know.

Comments

  1. Jonathan
    I had a similar problem about a month or so ago. Like you, I noticed the grass was overtaking the head stones at the cemetery where my Dad is buried so I called city hall. I was transferred to Mr. Easley who informed me the public works department had manning issues over the past few months but was back on track now and he had the cemetery on his schedule. It was mowed w/in the next week.

    I'm not sure when you last visited the cemetery across from the school but I was in town this weekend and it was far from being "neatly mowed." I mowed my Dad's plot and the adjoining plots on Saturday as the grass was once again getting too high for my liking. As I told Mr. Easley, I don't mind doing what I can but some families aren't able to get out and mow.

    Additionally, Mr. Easley told me the mowing schedule for upkeep was bi-weekly during growing seasons and monthly during the non-growing months.

    I say this as I think it may be more a manning issue than anything else since both cemeteries have had a problem w/ maintenance. I would suggest calling and talking w/ him about your concerns. He was very willing to discuss any concerns I had. Good luck... Linda


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I will check with him but I don't think it's an issue of manpower... it's an issue of following up to ensure the work was performed. They recently hired three employees... but I will check to get his explanation.

      Delete
  2. Mr. Informer,

    I have been trying to make people understand that we didn't put Mr. Grant out as Fire Chief. We have it on tape when he walked out. All the other firefighters chose to follow him. We would have loved to have had them on board but they chose differently. This incident is different. We were voted out. Two days later, i walked across the street and put in an application. As far as i know, none of the old fire department members were asked to join. I have been making it a point not to respond to anything written on here. I hear that alot of the reason so many people got mad at me was something i said on facebook. Funny thing is i didn't get any calls, nobody came to my house wondering what was going on. I was singled out. I will leave it at that. I hate it when people don't know the truth and they go by heresay and conjecture to try to ruin someones life and their credibility. I know i am not perfect, but i do love this city. I have done everything i can to protect this city and it's citizens. I have spent hundreds of hours earning firefighting and Emergency Medical Certifications. I didn't do all of this for my self, and i sure didn't put myself through the stress of College at 49 years old to earn an Associate Degree in Applied Science for Fire Science, just to have something to do. I did it to increase my knowledge to better serve you and eveybody else that lives here. I am always open for discussion. I wish for once somebody would grow a pair and come ask me to my face instead of using the internet to spread lies and half-truths. I speak the whole truth, do you?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

FY Budget 2015: Pills and Potions

Stealing Elections: Lumberton Style

Kim Rogers: A Phenomenal Woman