Being Ghetto is Not Fabulous


I said I was finished posting for this week, but when I walked out my front door this moring at 6:00 a.m. I was confronted with the reason why I am for the enforcement of the curfew ordinance. Almost on a daily basis, I am forced to pick up trash that was left behind by people with no home training. I have no problem with teens wanting to hang out because it's summer. I know when they hang out they are going to get loud and probably out of hand, but my problem stems from the fact that they use the streets as their trash cans. This is where they live, and they don't care enough to pick up after themselves.
You can ride past Greentree Apartments on any given day and it looks like New Orleans after a Mardi Gras parade. They just throw their paper on the ground becasue they know Mr. Bolton is going to pick it up the next morning. They don't think it's a reflection on them, but it is, and it shows that there is no parenting taking place. I am here to tell you (although I am certain that the majority of the people living on Myrick and North 10th Street are not aware of this blog) that where you live does not determine who you are. That's why I posted a photo of my bedroom. I am certain that people would have never thought that this is where I lay my head every night. Being ghetto is not fabulous. I sleep on 500 thread count sheets (my mom likes 700-1200 thread count, but she's somewhat of a DIVA), I use Miksa flatware and crystal; instead of saving for rims, I am saving up for the new LG 300 series, front load washer and dryer with steam technology. I could go on and on, but I think you get the point. When I looked at Lumberton's list of scholarship recipients, I noticed that only one student was from the Myrick area. (I'm certain that the new car he's sporting is the reward for getting a full scholarship.) Most of the students that received scholarships came from homes where the parents/grandparents are instilling a set of values into their childern. Could parenting be a direct correlation to a child's success? Interesting!!!

Comments

  1. I am loving the blog. You are certainly right about the lack of knowledge of your blog. I too believe that where you live doesn't determine who you are or what you become. For sometime now the lack of parenting or the poor attempts at it has been a plague to the city of Lumberton. The increase of teenage pregnancy and the lack of respect for authority in the young teens are a few results of the it. It is MY belief that the parents are too busy trying to get what they deem as their freak on and they are too busy to raise their children. And the streets and rappers have raised this generation of slackers. Most of the parents of the the troubled teens didn't attend college or didn't complete college themselves. During which time you have the opportunity to party but also you obtain a degree to become a contributing member of society. Until education is once again made the priority in the community things will stay the same. And yes GOOD parenting is a direct correlation to a child's success. I pray that things turn around soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jonathan you are off the chain!!! It's about time someone put a foot in some of those ignorant folks rumps in Lumberton ..bro keep on keeping on, and remember what I said, don't let up...them old folks have tried it their way and see nothing has changed, they need to hand the reins over to someone like you and sit their a$$ down somewhere...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Johnathan I tip my hat to you, you are good at telling it like it is. I live on Myrick and it is common knowlege that the trash that is left in our yards and on our streets isn't from our kids, it is from the neighboring complex I sit and watch these kids come into our community and make a mess and just walk away. Sad part is the parent see this too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

FY Budget 2015: Pills and Potions

Stealing Elections: Lumberton Style

Kim Rogers: A Phenomenal Woman