Signs and Wonders


If you have been to Lumberton lately, you have seen the sign placed by the LEDC (Lumberton Economic Development Council) telling people to stay and shop in Lumberton. Now, I wonder what the LEDC is going to do to get business owners on board with this plan. I shop outside of Lumberton becasue I can get more bang for my buck. For instance, Ramey's in Purvis has a better selection of produce, and more in-store specials than the Ramey's in Lumberton. The other day, I needed to buy a fan, and the prices of the fans at Lumberton's Family Dollar and Dollar General store was $19.99, but the same fan was selling for $12.00 at Wal-Mart. We all know that you can't go to Wal-Mart and buy one item, so while there, I got a few grocery items and some cleaning supplies. Also, while in Hattiesburg, I noticed that the gas prices were 5-10 cents cheaper than in Lumberton, so I filled my tank in Hattiesburg. On the way home, I stopped by Popeyes and got a 10 piece box of chicken with two sides for $12.99, but if I had waited until I had gotten to Lumberton I would have had to pay $10.99 for an 8 piece box of chicken with no sides. Since I already had chicken, it was necessary for me to stop by Pizza Hut in Purvis to get a $10 Meat Lover's Pizza, but I would like to point out that a three topping pizza in Lumberton cost $8.99.
So, the LEDC must realize that we are shopping elsewhere because of the savings. For now, the best deal in Lumberton is a perm at Tina's Hair Salon (601-297-9738). I hope she is able to get a barber soon since I had to wait almost an hour to get a haircut at Killingsworth. If the business owners of Lumberton want us to shop at their establishments, then they need to set some prices that will keep us from looking at other cities. From where I stand, it's going to take more than a sign.

Comments

  1. Jonathan you left off Dirt Cheap!! LOL

    RP

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

FY Budget 2015: Pills and Potions

Stealing Elections: Lumberton Style