Budget Cuts Causes Lay-Offs

Normally, I would wait to blog but based on the responses, I felt I should go ahead and address the matters now instead of allowing various opinions to fester overnight. I hope you know that I'm missing Scandal to compose this blog post. Don't cry for me because I have it recorded. I'll just be delayed a few minutes. Anywho, after a few calls, I discovered that most of the teachers laid off were first year teachers and the lay off were a result of budget cuts. As you may or may not know, MAEP has not been fully funded for years. The lack of funding coupled with the lack of local revenue has caused a budget shortfall that resulted in cuts in the number of teachers employed at Lumberton Elementary School. I'm not sure of the number of cuts made at the Jr./Sr. High School level but I'm sure there were cuts there as well. As for the principal, I'm sure his decision to leave was based on what's best for him and his family. He came to Lumberton from Hancock County and I'm sure he took a hefty paycut when he accepted the position in Lumberton. Principal Rhett Ladner was well liked and he mafe some excellent advances during his tenure at Lumberton Elementary School. I'm sure that teachers, students and parents will miss his presence and wish him well as he begins a new chapter in his life. From what I was told, the teachers were told that it's possible that they would have their contracts renewed next year but it will be based on availability.

I hope I was able to quell any rumors and I pray that the teachers find employment. If you still have questions and/or concerns about what happened today, the next school board meeting will be held on May 11, 2015 at 1:00 pm. Also, if you need more information or want to express your concerns, you can contact the Mississippi Department of Ecucation, School Improvement, Oversight and Recovery, P.O. Box 771, Jackson, MS 39205-0771. RE: Lumberton School System.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FY Budget 2015: Pills and Potions

Stealing Elections: Lumberton Style

Kim Rogers: A Phenomenal Woman