Lumberton Embraces Change: On the Football Field

You may have missed this story on WDAM because Lumberton was thrust into the spotlight...again...because of political issues. Since tonight is Senior Night and the Lumberton Panthers will play Stringer High School in a big regional game, I decided to repost the story that was published by WDAM.

It is not completely uncommon now-a-days to find a girl on the football team, but what about on the offensive line? Lumberton High School freshman Montye Cook decided she could hold that line with the best of them. "I'm proud of her, she's a trailblazer. Most girls that play are kickers," Head Coach Zach Jones said. Cooke originally thought she might try out for the cheerleading team, but decided a helmet and shoulder pads were more her style. When concern was raised of Cooke getting hit too hard by the boys, Coach Jones said she could hold her own. "One day I heard one of the guys tell her he was going to knock her out, and she said no I'm going to hit you first," said Jones. Cooke said she had to tell her teammates it was alright to hit her. " I just tell them I'm going to play football and I am going to get hit every once in awhile, so hit me like you would hit anyone else on the team," said Cooke. The team was shocked when they learned a girl would be joining the squad, but Cooke said, "Now they just treat me like I am on of the guys, no special treatment."

Don't forget that tonight at 7:00 p.m., the Lumberton Panthers will have a regional game against Stringer High School. This is also Senior Night for band members, cheerleaders, volleyball and football players. Please come out and show your support for the Lumberton Panthers. Copyright WDAM 2015. All rights reserved

Comments

  1. She is a badass. I'd like to sit her down with Jay MacGraw for about 15 minutes.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

FY Budget 2015: Pills and Potions

Stealing Elections: Lumberton Style

Kim Rogers: A Phenomenal Woman