Smoke and Mirrors


I went by City Hall today to look through the records, and I didn't find what I was looking for. A while back, I stated that the Lumberton Police Department was hemorrhaging funds, but that was not the correct. I guess a better diagnosis would be that the Lumberton Police Department is suffering from led poisoning because they are getting pencil (you fill in the blank). I was trying to find out why so many police officers have such an excessive amount of comp time. Did the Lumberton Police Department enter into an agreement with the City of Lumberton for comp time in lieu of payment of overtime? I tried to find an agreement in the minutes, but I was not able to do so. What is the agreement between the City of Lumberton and the Lumberton Police Department when it comes to the issuance/payment of comp time? Not only is there a problem with comp time and payment of overtime hours, I was told by several city employees that they have received late notices regarding their insurance payment. Now correct me if I am wrong, but I thought employee insurance was paid for by the employee, deducted from their paycheck, and forwarded to the insurance companies. How can they be late on payment of their insurance when the money is taken directly from their check every week? Lately, there has been a lot of focus on the planning committee, but no one is addressing the issues surrounding the failure to properly pay police officers their money from overtime hours. It is my belief that comp time is for salaried employees and not for employees that are paid on an hourly basis. When was the last time police officers were paid time and a half for working overtime and on holidays? Is there a system of checks and balances in place for the Mayor to check the budget and expenditure reports of each department? Is this information collected manually or stored in a digital format? If the information is transmitted digitally, does the Mayor have a computer set aside to access this information? These are a lot of questions, and I know I don't have the answers, but hopefully someone does. I don't know what going to be done to resolve this matter, but I imagine if ALL the police officers that are owed comp time would submit a request for payment of their time, someone will begin to find a solution to this problem!

Comments

  1. You may be anonymous, be anybody can smell a black person anywhere, always talkin bout suing somebody, ain't gone do ish!! Like sue is suppose to scare somebody...don't want to pay your yearly tax let alone get a Lawyer and really sue somebody....you and Sue can get off this blog.....LMBO over here out WEST!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This site is supposed to be informative, not another site used to throw your rocks and hide your hands. I know that people are reading this blog, and it not necessary to try and bring someone else down in order to lift yourself up. People are being dragged into this area when they have no dealings with what is taking place at City Hall. I have know Ms. Peggy for some years, and I feel that her concern for me is genuine. I don't question her words of kindness or expressions of love. She is a caring and loving person, and don't deserve to be lumped into a discussion that is not related to any actions she has taken. At this point, I am being dared to post comments in an effort to prove some point. I have no point to prove and I try to monitor what is posted, but someone said that a trueee blogger allows all post, but if someone request that I remove a comment, I will honor that request. I started this blog as a means of holding elected officials accoutable for their actions, and I will continue to post what I find out about the events happening in this city. Again, I don't post anonymous comments to this blog b/c I am the administrator, and what I feel like writing about. . I write. I haven't hidden my feelings on subject matter since I started this blog, and I'm not about to start now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is no agreement between the City of Lumberton and the Police Department! The unwritten rule is that whatever it takes to please certain people, then that's what the Police Department will do. Of course, this is not the opinion of the hard working police officers, but of certain persons. I have never heard of comp time for hourly employees either. Why, because IT IS NOT LEGAL!!! Hourly employees are just that, paid by the hourly for time worked. You cannot roll hourly work hours into comp time. Hourly means, by law, you are required to be paid for each and every hour you work, PERIOD! If the police chief would take care of his bizzzness and leave certain girls alone then something might get done. And overtime!!!, what is that!!!
    As for the late notices on the insurance payments, IT IS CALLED E M B E Z Z L E M E N T !!! This would not be the first time money has been mishandled. Help me to understand this, money is grossly mishandled in city hall, yet the police dept. is not allowed to lawfully pay the officers for hours they lawfully worked. First, you don't want to pay people AFTER they've worked, then the little you pay them, you take insurance from that, then to top it off, YOU DON'T PAY THE INSURANCE ON TIME OR NOT AT ALL! Aint that a kick in the a@%. If I were the police officers, i would start kicking someone in the a@*, I would start with the chief, then make my way over there to the clerk. Somebody gonna give me what i worked for, and dam@**, I better have some insurance when I go to the doctor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stephanie C. MullingsJuly 16, 2010 at 2:39 PM

    I feel someone should get all the facts before making accusations. I am the City Clerk and I assure you that ALL insurance payments withheld from paychecks (which is supplemental insurance) are paid ON TIME every month. The letters you are referring to are dealing with one of these companies. We received refunds on payments due to the fact the rep didnt send me authorization forms on new accounts. Without these forms, I can't withhold monies from someone's check. After a month long working with a new rep, the headquarters has finally got everything straight. My door is always opened to anyone who has questions. Before taking someone else's word, please come talk to me and get the facts. I grew up in the town, I love my hometown and I too want what is best for Lumberton and watch it prosper. I was brought up with high morals and values instilled in me and I stand by those till the day I die and meet my Lord and Saviour. I strive to do the best job I can for the town I love.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

FY Budget 2015: Pills and Potions

Stealing Elections: Lumberton Style

Kim Rogers: A Phenomenal Woman